PDA

View Full Version : Filespace is gone...but file is not there...

champagnemojo
09-30-2004, 03:42 AM
This has me puzzled. I've been messing around with backing up dvd's today and encountered a weird situation with K3B. I went into copy dvd and chose "only create image". It did it's thing. I then went and looked, and there's no image file. However, the 3.9GB that the dvd image would've taken up are gone. :o

I have the install imaged, so at least I was prepared...but I would prefer to understand what happened and fix it. Maybe the file is there and I'm just overlooking it, but I've searched with every method I know of. Any ideas on how to fix it? I went from gigs free to 400MB free in just a few minutes. :?

Markus
09-30-2004, 11:48 AM
Unless you changed the folder options it should be under /tmp/kde-champagnemojohzToPT/ or some such. Try: find /tmp -name k3b_*

champagnemojo
09-30-2004, 04:50 PM
THanks for the response Markus. The filespace is gone even after the /tmp directory gets flushed though. And I've looked with filelight and fsview (which you'd imagine that a 3.9GB file would be hard to miss in :D) and nothing seems to be using that space...it's just gone. Oh well...like I said I have the partition imaged...I just would prefer to know what happened. K3B didn't segfault while writing the image or anything.

Markus
09-30-2004, 05:37 PM
That must be what they call a ghost image :D Sorry, couldn't resist.
Not a clue where the space went either. As you said, a ~4GB file is hard to miss.