PDA

View Full Version : configs.tbz crashed

eculbert2
09-30-2004, 04:38 PM
Is there anyway to recover configs.tbz when it wont boot up? What it does is get almost to kde starting up then hangs with a blank screen.

This is on wife's 'special' machine!!! And knoppix 3.3 She needs to recover as she wont listen to me and do a backup. She was loading something off the net when this crash happened. She has about 6 months or so of writtings on it and silly never saved to hd, not sure exactly where she saved, but it will boot with just hitting the return/enter key. I have looked hi and lo for any recoverable data, but haven't found anything. I know she had a bunch. This occured on 9/22 or at least that is the 'last modified' date on the configs.tbz file.

Doing an open or click on the partition then hovering over the file shows 11.x mb size compared with my 2.4 mb size, so that is not a new one, but the old one she had.

thanks. :oops: :D

mzilikazi
09-30-2004, 06:31 PM
I'm not exactly sure I understand what you're asking here but it seems that you can't use your persistent home? Well a file w/ extension .tbz is just a bzipped tarball. You *should* be able to extract the contents w/

tar xjvf configs.tbz

You could even look directly inside the file w/ mc and not untar/bunzip it at all.

Maybe that helps?

eculbert2
09-30-2004, 11:18 PM
The particular file is the 'save knoppix configuration' .tbz file when running from cdrom. Wife is 'bullheaded' and I am not sure how she 'saved' her 'important' files. Silly wouldn't let me hook up the usb cdrom and burn them to disk, so it looks like about 7 months of her 'work' is now gone.

The system hangs at the startx. It looks like it is going to startx (KDE) and that 'short time' blank screen is permanent now, it doesn't finish loading.

I can boot up without the

boot: knoppix myconfig=scan

option just fine, but it doesn't see her files.

There IS a 'knoppix.img' file that is huge..about 3gb on one partition. Maybe that is it, but I don't know how to get it opened. It is on a different partition than the configs.tbz file.

eculbert2
09-30-2004, 11:22 PM
Thanks mzilikazi

I don't know how to use mc yet. I got it opened and closed session. That tbz file is 11.4 mb!! Got tired of holding down the down arrow!!! And everything in there is, to me, basically a big ? mark.

mzilikazi
09-30-2004, 11:57 PM
Well I'm not terribly familiar w/ the persistent home feature. Not really sure what is saved in there.... Have you tried moving the configs.tbz file out of the way?

mv configs.tbz configs.tbz.old
Then see if it boots. Of course you'll lose all your settings (i.e. wallpaper) and such and have to recreate your persistent home.

firebyrd10
10-01-2004, 01:36 AM
The particular file is the 'save knoppix configuration' .tbz file when running from cdrom. Wife is 'bullheaded' and I am not sure how she 'saved' her 'important' files. Silly wouldn't let me hook up the usb cdrom and burn them to disk, so it looks like about 7 months of her 'work' is now gone.

The system hangs at the startx. It looks like it is going to startx (KDE) and that 'short time' blank screen is permanent now, it doesn't finish loading.

I can boot up without the

boot: knoppix myconfig=scan

option just fine, but it doesn't see her files.

There IS a 'knoppix.img' file that is huge..about 3gb on one partition. Maybe that is it, but I don't know how to get it opened. It is on a different partition than the configs.tbz file.

the knoppix.img is the persistant home

Try loading it with
home=scan at boot.

(you can use ark and open the tbz file I believe.)