PDA

View Full Version : V3.6 on Compaq DL360 RAID

Steve F
09-30-2004, 04:43 PM
Okay, I'm stuck.

I am running /dev/MAKEDEV cciss and that works. I can fdisk and format the partitions, mount them, cd to them and "see" the file system.

knoppix-installer doesn't "see" the SCSI RAID so the only option I get is to run qtparted. With qtparted I can see /dev/cciss/c0d0 and can set active my first partition, and format all of them. When I exit qtparted I get the same installer menu where the only thing I am allowed to do is make partitions.

What do I do next to get the installer to see that there is a good bootable partition out there to install on?

Steve F
10-04-2004, 01:42 AM
I got past the install part but it wouldn't boot. I spent the weekend rebuilding minirt24.gz and I finally got my CD test partition to boot. Somehow I screwed up the minirt24.gz and kept getting segmentation faults during linuxrc after the raid was mounted as /cdrom and before root was fully switched over to the cloop KNOPPIX. I started over with a fresh minirt24.gz to modify and it worked. Tomorrow I will install 2.6 on the primary bootable partition and see if I can get it to boot.

The DL360 doesn't seem to be a popular platform for Knoppix but so far my test remastering of a full 2 gig knoppix compressed in 8 minutes. And that was using 2.4 and not using tmpfs optimasations. The DL360 is a dual xeon 2.8 gig cpu, 4 gig ram and ultra 320 scsi 15k rpm drives. I think the extra work to get this going is going to pay off well considering I started remastering on a Dell 700mhz laptop and could only get a couple remasters built a day. Now it will seem like it takes longer to boot than to build a test image.