PDA

View Full Version : Disable Caps Lock

probono
09-30-2004, 08:21 PM
How often have you wished to remove the "Caps Lock" altogether? Well, now you can. Simply put this in your knoppix.sh:

xmodmap -e "remove lock = Caps_Lock"

And the "Caps Lock" key will never disturb you again :)

Btw, for other operating systems, this fuctionality can be bought for $10: http://www.orionsoft.cz/anticapslock.asp

probono

mzilikazi
09-30-2004, 11:33 PM
Or if you use a standard hdd installation add it to .bashrc.

user unknown
10-01-2004, 05:19 AM
Hm. Yes.
Caps-lock problems I have.
But I need a different solution.
a) Typewriter mode: unlock caps-lock with left-caps too.
b) Typewriter mode too: CAPS + $ shall be $, not '4'. (If I would like to insert '4', I wouldn't hit CAPSLOCK - would I?)

probono
10-01-2004, 11:22 AM
What is "Typewriter mode"?

user unknown
10-02-2004, 05:18 AM
Well, in former time, there where typewriters.

All typewriters I used behaved in the way described above.
I don't know whether someone else uses this expression for pc-keyboards.

And former typewriters didn't had an penguin- or apple-key... :)

Henk Poley
10-05-2004, 03:40 PM
Somehow I don't understand what you say. Could you try it in German maybe?

Nic MFP
10-07-2004, 08:50 PM
It's simple. Typewriters work like this: first of all, symbols on the first-row keys are swapped, that is, on a typewriter if you hit the 4-key, you get a $, instead. To get a 4 you have to press the Caps lock (or the SHIFT) key(*). On computers, instead, these keys always generate numbers, and the only way to get symbosl is depressing them together with the SHIFT key.

Note that if you use the CAPS key, the keys on the first row continue to type numbers, and to get symbols again you must deactivate CAPS LOCK (see below).

Moreover, the CAPS key is not a toggle: once you press it, you type capital letters; but pressing it again has no effect. The only way to release the caps key (and thus typing small letters) is to press the SHIFT key.

(*) This is only an example, that is valid on my PC keyboard (an Italian keyboard); probably the symbol over your "4" key is not "$". And surely the keyboard disposition on typewriter keyboards is different from ANY PC.

user unknown
10-12-2004, 04:48 AM
Nic understood right.

In german:
Shift-4 erzeugt $. Caps-Lock erzeugt aber nach wie vor 4.
Auf einer Schreibmaschine würde es auch $ erzeugen.
Ebenso schaltet man Caps-Lock auf einer Schreibmaschine mit Shift aus, nicht mit erneutem Caps-Lock.

antweb
10-10-2005, 06:23 PM
guys help, i tryed the command, nd it worked but i think ive broken it - i cant get it back *sobs* sum1 help!!

antweb
10-19-2005, 08:36 PM
yeh btw guys this in my mandriva LE edition not knoppix... so it isnt like i can reboot