PDA

View Full Version : Help Changing Read/Write for NTFS in Knoppix 3.6

Krendall
09-30-2004, 09:06 PM
I have tried to mount my NTFS hard drive using Knoppix but it always says the following:

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1
mount: only root can do that

How can I get rid of that error or gain permissions so I can mount a drive?

PS - I am very, VERY new to both Knoppix and Linux.

UnderScore
09-30-2004, 09:58 PM
If you are booting the Knoppix 3.6 CD to a full graphical KDE desktop, then you should have hard drive icons on your desktop. Try using those icons to access the NTFS C: drive. If the icons on the desktop work for you & you are able to access the NTFS drive and do not want to learn more about this problem, then you can stop reading now.

Linux in general limits what the user can do. This prevents dangerous tasks from being performed without permission. You have just run into an example of where it prevents you from mounting the /dev/hda1. You will need to append the sudo command in front of your mount command. The other thing you may need to know if that NTFS is supported by read only & not read/write. Someone else may need to correct the command below, but it should allow you to mount the NTFS C: drive in read only mode.

sudo mount -t ntfs -o ro /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1

I hope this helps.
James

Krendall
09-30-2004, 10:39 PM
Thanks, but the only reason I'm looking to mount the drive is so I can set read/write permissions. I've talked to someone who said that through Captive NTFS, you can write to NTFS drives. I'm just looking for help in getting it to work.

I do see the hard drive and I can access it, I'm trying to figure out how to write to it.

Again, sorry if I sound like a comlete idiot, but I'm very new to anything Linux, much less Knoppix. I'm trying to learn it mostly because it can do things differently than Windows can.

firebyrd10
10-01-2004, 01:37 AM
Thanks, but the only reason I'm looking to mount the drive is so I can set read/write permissions. I've talked to someone who said that through Captive NTFS, you can write to NTFS drives. I'm just looking for help in getting it to work.

I do see the hard drive and I can access it, I'm trying to figure out how to write to it.

Again, sorry if I sound like a comlete idiot, but I'm very new to anything Linux, much less Knoppix. I'm trying to learn it mostly because it can do things differently than Windows can.

You should see a little picture of a penguin at the bottom left (if you in kde) search through that menu for captive ntfs.