PDA

View Full Version : help with finding app

helios17
10-01-2004, 01:46 AM
I have kanotix and knoppix installed on seperate hard drives in order to see which one I like best as a hd install but I am having a problem. in knoppix, I easily found the kde app KPF, which is a file server. In kanotix, I cannot find it anywhere. the only difference I can see is that knoppix is running kde 3.2 and kanotix 3.3. I did a file search and found a folder for kpf but it has nothing executable in it to link to or make into a shortcut. Would someone please instruct me on how to find this program in kanotix? I have done a line by line search for it in the menu and cannot find it.

thanx

skip

shah
10-01-2004, 02:11 AM
It run as an applet : /usr/share/apps/kicker/applets
You will find it by right clicking on panel-->add-->applet--->Public file server.

If it isn't there, try reinstall it.
apt-get remove kpf
apt-get install kpf

:D :D :D

mzilikazi
10-01-2004, 03:24 AM
Is it even installed?

apt-cache policy kpf

As suggested by shah you can simply install it if not.

apt-get update &&& apt-get install kpf

If you can't find an app in the menu you can find the executable (if you know its name) like so:

which kpf

Or just look for it like so:

updatedb
locate kpf

helios17
10-01-2004, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the help. It was obviously installed because apt-get remove uninstalled it. apt-get install put it back in my applet menu. Also thank you for showing the different commands. I have copied and pasted them into my noobie cheat sheet...not real pretty, but its something to go to till I get this learned.

thanx again

skip