PDA

View Full Version : /ramdisk

joshuabok
10-01-2004, 06:29 AM
i have a problem, my mobo comes with 8mb shared ram, and knoppix always writes /ramdisk into my shared memory.

so, knoppix cant work, because it needs at least 80mb of ram.

any idea how to retarget the /ramdisk to my 128mb ram?

this is rather important to me, and i would really appreciate any help given
-josh

shah
10-01-2004, 08:05 AM
Knoppix can run with ram less then 80MB. It needs more ram only if you wish to run KDE as your desktop.

For system with limited memory, you can choose other desktop, for example xfce.
These are the desktop you can select using cheacodes:
desktop=fluxbox|icewm|kde|larswm|twm|wmaker|xfce
Example, to run xfce, at boot from,type:
knoppix26 desktop=xfce

:D :D :D

joshuabok
10-01-2004, 02:56 PM
ok.. but cant i re-target /ramdisk to my 128mb instead of the 8mb shared memory?

Cuddles
10-01-2004, 03:12 PM
ok.. but cant i re-target /ramdisk to my 128mb instead of the 8mb shared memory?

I dont think Linux works the same way Windows does, I think Linux works more like OS/2, or even a MAC OS... Memory gets "thrown-in" to a pool, one large pool, and then gets "dibbied" [sp] out to what needs it... Depending on where your "shared memory" is, e.g at the front of the memory, or at the end, it will get "shelled-out" first, or last... My guess is, your shared memory is at the front of your "other" memory, and that is why it gets used first...

Not sure if Knoppix has a way to "lock out" specific areas of memory, like you can with Windows - this was done for old "legacy" devices, that expected to find drivers at specific areas of memory... Funny thing is, that BIOS configurations still allow you to lock out these areas of memory, as well, but, Knoppix, I think all the "Linux" varients do this, they read from the BIOS, but then, throw it away, and assume they can use everything, like apm... Since they assume they can use "everything", they must also have a way to "disable" certain areas, again for legacy issues...

I dont have any ideas how to "lock out" these locations of memory, unless you can see if Knoppix will "honor" the BIOS, and that the areas can be locked down in the BIOS...

Hope this helps

joshuabok
10-01-2004, 05:55 PM
ok thx..