PDA

View Full Version : help...cdrom won't mount

bob58
10-01-2004, 11:46 AM
Hello....My cdrom has been working fine up until this morning for some reason....If I click on the Icon to mount it, it gives me an error saying:

"could not mount device. Mount: special device /dev/cdrom does not exist"

I ran dmesg.....there is a line that says it detects it:

hdc: QSI DVD-ROM SDR-081, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

It is a combo dvd/cdrom drive.....

Not sure why it suddenly will not mount.....anything to do with /etc/modules? fstab?.....please help! bob58

CrashedAgain
10-02-2004, 06:08 AM
just been through this. see this link: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13601
I think for your setup you will need a link from /dev/cdrom to /dev/hdc.
'ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom'
Problem is the icon is based on the 2.4 kernel setup using /dev/cdrom & the 2.6 kernel doesn't create /dev/cdrom which is a link to the actual device.

bob58
10-04-2004, 01:01 AM
I think that was part of the problem.....the 2.6 kernel. I was using it more because it let me use my optical usb mouse. 2.4 kernel wouldnt and i tried everything under the sun to get it to work. I ran 2.6 kernel and whadda ya know.....the optical mouse worked! But the next day for some reason my cdrom would not mount. So I had thought about re-installing knoppix again with another LINUX distro just for the hell of it but when i tried i had too many boot problems. So I downloaded Knoppix v. 3.7 and installed.....works great.....So i guess i can deal with no optical mouse for now.....as long as my cdrom is working...bob58