PDA

View Full Version : NTFS Persistant Home

Sgeo
10-01-2004, 06:33 PM
Is there any way to get Persistant Home/Config/Whatever if I have an NTFS partition? I have no way of repartitioning

drb
10-01-2004, 07:15 PM
You can use a USB Pen Drive and save your PH and config file

drb

Sgeo
10-01-2004, 07:56 PM
What's a "USB Pen Drive"? (Also, I can't exactly do anything with hardware)

Garibaldi
10-01-2004, 09:55 PM
What's a "USB Pen Drive"? (Also, I can't exactly do anything with hardware)
Its also known as a USB Flash Drive, or USB Thumb Drive. Bascially its a little thing that you stick in your USB port that stores flash memory. You can think of it as similar as a picture card for digital cameras.

Sgeo
10-02-2004, 01:24 AM
I saw something about a "Poor man's Install" onto NTFS. How would that be done?

garyng
10-02-2004, 03:12 AM
I saw something about a "Poor man's Install" onto NTFS. How would that be done?

You need NTFS driver that supports r/w. I am not sure if the latest KNOPPIX does. After that, all you need is to create one big file(or more if you like) while running XP/W2K/NT(there are tools for it). These big files can then be used by KNOPPIX as "device" which you can format them to whatever file systems, thus your persistent home or you can even install a complete system onto them. You would need GRUB32 which support NTFS to boot into them though, if you want an installed system.

firebyrd10
10-02-2004, 04:19 AM
The 2.6 kernel drivers ca write to ntfs safly, only they can only change a file, they can't creat new files or anything. But this is fine for PH home use as everything is in the knoppix.img file. Only, I don't think the option is avaible on knoppix.

Nomersu
10-23-2004, 03:36 PM
Hi,

Instructions on how to make pooor man's install on NTFS can be found behind the link below. There is mentioned that you could have the persistent home on NTFS partition but it is not recommended by author.

http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/WinPartition

I followed these instructions and now on C: I have XP and Knoppix ISO (NTFS partition). D: is NTFS data partition. On E: I have persistent home as .img file (D: is FAT32). Everything works great. I do not know if the home partition could reside on C: where I have the Knoppix ISO.