PDA

View Full Version : I have a sad life...

champagnemojo
10-01-2004, 08:13 PM
I just built my first .deb package from a non-debian source. It was a simple little package...just a plugin for the xfce4 panel. But, I'm very excited...unhealthily so in fact, I'd say. :lol: It was really easy too...you should try it the next time you have some *simple* program that you can't find a deb or rpm for. :D

A. Jorge Garcia
10-02-2004, 02:44 AM
OK, I'll bite. How did you did it?

TIA,
AJG

firebyrd10
10-02-2004, 04:20 AM
OK, I'll bite. How did you dod it?

TIA,
AJG

checkinstall can make deb packages from source code.

kelmo
10-02-2004, 01:15 PM
firebyrd10,

checkinstall will fail on more complicated compiles

champagnemojo
10-02-2004, 05:26 PM
I used the tools in the debmake and devscripts packages. You should look at the doc for debmake. It tells you how to do it better than I could. The only weirdness I encountered was that I had to create the DEBIAN directory myself and copy everything from /debian over to /DEBIAN, because for some reason deb-make created /debian but then when everything is built /DEBIAN is what is looked for. And do make sure to try something simple if you try it.

nishtya
10-02-2004, 08:51 PM
anything you want to share with us?

champagnemojo
10-03-2004, 10:37 PM
anything you want to share with us?

Nothing to share really. I'm still figuring it out myself. It's easy for simple things, but even slightly involved packages are a pain. I now realize that there are supposed to be both /debian and /DEBIAN directories. Just make sure you follow the right order, and if things get messed up it's best to get a fresh source and start over. And if there's a deb or rpm available use them. :lol: