PDA

View Full Version : My DSL connection disappears after shutdown.

rrfish72
10-02-2004, 08:53 PM
Every time I restart my computer and go into Linux my internet connection is gone and I have to reconfigure it everytime. I do not have to do this is windows. I have saved the configuration on floppys but I would like to know if there is a way to make it remember the connection without going through the floppy. I can quickly restart the connection but want it to stay so other people can connect without going through all the hassle of knowing how to do it.
I'm trying to get this to be my primary OS and am having trouble with only the internet connection staying after a shutdown. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You.

I have tried pon, pump, pump -r and they don't work until I set the connection straight.

Durand Hicks
10-03-2004, 03:22 AM
Have you tried putting the configuration info for your nic(s) in /etc/network/interfaces? That would be the easiest way to have it saved across reboots. Unless the knoppix-autoconfig script resets it, then you'll have to edit that script to comment out where it would have reset /etc/network/interfaces.

rrfish72
10-03-2004, 05:30 AM
Here is that file. What do I edit in it? etc/network/interfaces:
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

What would I comment out in the etc/init.d knoppix-autoconfig? I checked it but didn't know.

shah
10-03-2004, 09:49 AM
Read this post:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13636&highlight=
:D :D

rrfish72
10-03-2004, 03:20 PM
Thank you. By editing out the one line in knoppix-autoconfig and adding the other-

broadcasting for IP.${NORMAL}"
trap 2 3 11
#pump -i $DEVICE >/dev/null 2>&1 &
/etc/init.d/networking restart
trap "" 2 3 11
sleep 1
echo " ${BLUE}(Backgrounding)${NORMAL}"

Now it starts at reboot. Thank you very much.