PDA

View Full Version : Help Installing Programs

Garibaldi
10-02-2004, 09:52 PM
I have a 700 MB persistent home. I now want to try installing other programs than those available with klik like QDVD Author, Mplayer, and other video-editing programs. I tried downloading mplayer, but couldn't figure out how to get it installed. I tried:
1. kpackage, but it gave me an error=2 when I tried mplayer and several other packages
2. apt-get with:
apt-get update
apt-get install mplayer
The update part seemed to work but the text it displays after hitting enter is in Chinese for some reason, even though my regional settings say english. The install part clearly didn't work, but since its in Chinese I can't read the error message
3. dpkg -i install mplayer - also gave me an error in Chinese
4. I tried extracting the files and cd ing to the directory, I tried configure.sh, install, makefile, ect with no sucess.
Please, any suggestions of how I can get apps installed in Knoppix would be much appreciated!

uraclea2002
10-02-2004, 10:54 PM
Try Kano's script. I use Kanotix so I can't say for sure if it works with knoppix but it should. Look here http://kanotix.com/files/

Get the install-mplayer.sh script

CrashedAgain
10-03-2004, 03:48 AM
Since there is no reason to use a persistent home with a full HD install I'm assuming you are running either from CD or from poormans install. If this is the case, I don't think you can install anything except though klik because of the read only file system.

drb
10-03-2004, 08:15 AM
CrashedAgain,

Is that the case? I use a PH and liveCD and I installed Opera using the Kano script - some of Kano's scripts are headed HD or liveCD - the first check is whether it is a liveCD operation.

MPlayer install scripts for CD and HD install

drb

shah
10-03-2004, 10:00 AM
If you are using knoppix from hd (not poorman) then add this to your apt sources.lst:
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main
:D :D

Garibaldi
10-04-2004, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the responses, I am running a live-cd with Persistent home/config file. Since I don't have hd install, it sounds like I should try Kano's scriptpage. I would like to install other programs that aren't on Kano's page like QDVD Author and a bunch of other video-editing programs. Let me know if you come up with any other ideas! :)