PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix sound

RoyalMail
10-03-2004, 08:50 PM
I can't get the system to play sounds.

The player xmms plays .wav files etc ok.

When I press the 'test sound' button in the KDE control centre Multimedia /sound System/General tab a (presumably right) sound emerges.

However I cannot get the system sounds on the System Notification to play, even after selecting xmms as an alternative player. When games are running with sound, I get error messages about checking plug-ins and so on which are not very helpful.

If I boot from the Knoppix live CD things aren't much better, I can get system sounds (window opening etc.) to work with the xmms player, but still games won't sound.

Looking at the guide at
http://www.tissot.de/cgi-local/view/Tissot/DebianSoundConfiguration#Configurat
I see mention of files like /etc/isapnp.conf which I don't have (and the K. CD install doesn't have).

Any pointers to sorting this out? Is the basic sound there and the plug-ins need configuring (how)? These /etc/modutils/* files, do they really need editing (seems a bit daunting)?

Regds, RM.

rrfish72
10-03-2004, 10:11 PM
I just had that problem. Check here http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13588&highlight=

RoyalMail
10-03-2004, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the reply, all the things (permissions and settings) suggested in the thread are ok here.
Useful tip on changing the external player though.
What exactly cured it for you?

Another thought strikes - have you got the ALSA driver installed?

Regds, RM.

rrfish72
10-03-2004, 11:30 PM
knotifyrc file. Did a search for it and opened it and edited it.

[Misc]
External player=artsplay
LastConfiguredApp=Automatic Proxy Configuration
Use external player=true
Volume=100

[StartProgress]
Arts Init=true
KNotify Init=true
Use Arts=true

I don't exactly know what the chmod 777 /dev/dsp did but I did that too.
Hope this helps more.

RoyalMail
10-04-2004, 09:56 AM
Thanks, a full reboot seems to have sorted out the settings a bit (strange a logout and login didn't); I can now play system sounds without external player and from my own account.

So far so good.