PDA

View Full Version : root Password?

Syrus
10-04-2004, 02:49 PM
i have just installed knoppix to my system and when trying to change some setting ti ahs asked me for a root password (mainly in KDE) what is this password?

Steve F
10-04-2004, 04:59 PM
During the installation you should have been asked to enter a username and password for yourself. Then it should have asked you for an administrator password. What you entered at that time is the password for the administrator account called su and the program called sudo. su stands for super user and is the account with global access to the system. So, administrator account, su, and super user are all the same thing.

If you are running from the CD you can open a bash shell and type su. It won't ask you for a password. Then you can type passwd and enter a new password for the su account that you can then use when kde asks for an administrator password.

Steve F
10-04-2004, 05:04 PM
Moderator, please delete.

majikman
10-05-2004, 10:09 PM
3.6 doesn't ask you. i just installed and the only thing it asked me was where i wanted to install it to. never asked me about root password or anything. i'm also having a problem with the root password

Markus
10-05-2004, 10:32 PM
AFAIK a Knoppix style install doesn't ask you for a password, but you can set it with:

su
passwdHere's a description on the different types of installs: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixInstaller

majikman
10-06-2004, 12:56 AM
so this means i need to reinstall doesn't it?

Markus
10-06-2004, 08:30 AM
You can still set the password, but as I have only installed debian style I'll best not try giving an answer which would probably be wrong :D

user unknown
10-07-2004, 03:14 AM
Don't reinstall.

First try to set the root-password now.

Open a console

su
enter

If that made you root

whoami set the password now.

passwd

If that doesn't work, and you boot via lilo, add the runlevel 'S' - option to the bootentry:

knoppix S or whatever your bootname is.
This will start in Superusermode, and give you a root-console.

passwd
specify the password and reboot.

Let reinstall be a windows-issue.

artamangr
10-27-2004, 10:20 AM
Hi,
apart from the root password (which i set by logging as superuser), knoppix asks me sometimes for user password (whoami says i am user knoppix). How can i set this one? When i try to change it, it asks for my current password which i dont have. If i leave this blank it says that authentication failed

user unknown
10-28-2004, 01:27 AM
man useradd
# then
useradd artamangr ....
passwd artamangr
and work as artamangr.

artamangr
10-28-2004, 10:25 AM
Hi, thanks for the reply.
I found another workaround yesterday, using K-User as a root i could set the password for user knoppix.
Thanks for the suggestion anyway :wink: