PDA

View Full Version : SCSI disk not detected by noppix ?!? Any pointers ? ...

dayalp
10-05-2004, 12:11 AM
Hi,
I recently bought a Dell Precision 670 workstation with just one SCSI disk attached to
an Adaptec AIC-7901 HostRaid SCSI controller. I want to install Debian on it. knoppix has been my favourite choice on the last several occasions. But this time, knoppix is not able to detect the SCSI controller, I believe that the driver for this controller is aic79xx.o and I tried to supply it from a floppy disk using the modules-disk option on boot prompt (along with scsi_mod.o and sd_mod.o).
But when I do a "modprobe aic79xx", modprobe return the error
"init_module: No such device"

All the above modules on the disk were copied from a 2.4.27 kernel source module compilation and I am trying to boot 2.4.27 from knoppix as well.

Could someone please help me out with this problem ? How can I detect my SCSI controller and therefore the hard disk so that I can perform a hard disk install ?

I read elsewhere that HostRaid should be turned off on the SCSI controller and I believe that is already the case cos I just have one disk and the SCSI controller's BIOS does not show any option to enable/disable.

Any thoughts/suggestions/comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

garyng
10-05-2004, 02:38 AM
it means the driver doesn't match this device. You may need to ask on kernel.org for help. Or try a number of other aic drivers.

dayalp
10-05-2004, 06:03 PM
You're right. The driver indeed did not match this device. Actually, BillyBobber has been trying to boot debian from his SCSI disk with the chipset AIC-7902 and has posted his messages on the General Support Forum here.

Here is a link I got from there for the correct aic79xx driver for AIC-7901/02

http://people.freebsd.org/~gibbs/linux/SRC/

Now I am planning to compile the kernel-source 2.4.27 with the above aic79xx module overwritten on it (via knoppix) and install a kernel on my SCSI disk. Do you foresee any potential problems with this approach ? Or is there a simpler way in knoppix to install a debian kernel image with the above aic79xx driver built in ?