PDA

View Full Version : dvd rom seen but not usable

helios17
10-05-2004, 03:08 AM
I believe I just have a mounting problem here. Had to shuffle some of my roms around and replace my cd burner. Before, I had an omega usb dvd/cd-rw rom and it went south so I replaced it with an internal iomega cd-rw. Now, the dvd rom listed on my desktop as cdrom1 sees the files but I am getting cannot open vmg errors in all dvd players. How do I mount this drive as my dvd player

thanx

skip

eon
10-08-2004, 12:43 AM
Hi Skip, What dvd player are you trying to run? Xine? If I am understanding your problam the dvd player doesn't play your movie. Most distos of linux come with the dvd players not working you need to grab two files "libdvdread" & "libdvdcss" and install them to your system doing ./configure make make install. I don't believe these files are available using apt-get. Maybe libdvdcss is? I guess you could use kpackage to install them too. There are some legal issues about using linux to watch your movies.
You may also need to select the correct device in the player you are using. If the desktop icon is seeing the files on the disk then the device is mounted

rrfish72
10-09-2004, 05:27 PM
To get libdvdcss:

wget http://download.videolan.org/pub/libdvdcss/1.2.8/deb/libdvdcss2_1.2.8-1_i386.deb
dpkg -i libdvdcss2_1.2.8-1_i386.deb

helios17
10-12-2004, 01:41 PM
the players were looking for /mnt/dvd or something like that. right clicked the cdrom1 on my desktop, which is my dvd player, copied the path it showed and pasted it into the box where /mnt/dvd was and it worked fine. Is this a problem specific to knoppix or the device? Seems that when I had the usb dvd rom It played without any adjustment. BTw, thank you for the link for those two files. those are good ones to burn and keep aside. Never know when you are gonna reinstall or rebuild your distro. seems always a PITA to find them when you need them.

you guys rock

helios

bob58
10-13-2004, 04:11 PM
This post is for rrfish72.....In reference to the library files that helios17 needed, can you give me step by step help with getting and installing these 2 files? I want to use my DVD player too, but can't cause of same problem. Do i go to Konsole as root and type wget, and then that web address? And afterwards type the dpkg -i so on......I dont understand this....please help!!!! bob

Markus
10-13-2004, 08:31 PM
Type the commandlines as rrfish72 posted or add the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list and apt-get it
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main
If you have testing in apt.conf change unstable to testing.

rrfish72
10-13-2004, 08:55 PM
bob58, just copy and paste and hit enter again.

bob58
10-14-2004, 06:55 PM
Wow thanks guys! Finally I am able to get the dvd player to work! I followed instructions, popped a dave mathews cd/dvd in and I am watching a cool concert as we speak! :lol:

One thing though. I got a message on screen saying "Your system seems slow. The amount of dropped frames is too high". It does seem a little bit flakey but not bad....I have a 900Mhz laptop with 512MB ram.....how can that not be enough???? I am also running FLUXBOX to save resources. Any suggestions???? Is there some changes I should make to the XINE setup screen????? I dont understand alot of the technical choices in there....... :shock: bob