PDA

View Full Version : Printing, Notifications

RoyalMail
10-05-2004, 12:39 PM
How does one obtain a print-out of a complete thread? The best I seem to be able to do is to print the available screen including the fragment of a thread captured in that window. I'd like to be able to print the lot in one (or more) pages.

Does notification of replies work on here? I've not seen any yet.

Regds, RM.

user unknown
10-06-2004, 01:24 AM
I'm not sure whether I understood right:
A program prints to the screen, and you want to print it on a printer, but parts of the output scrolled away?

command > cmd.out
lpr cmd.out

RoyalMail
10-06-2004, 11:32 AM
No I'm talking about threads on HERE!

Regds, RM

user unknown
10-07-2004, 01:22 AM
I still don't understand.
How are the threads started?

Are you talking about any thread?
So if some thread is started from somewhere, and then finishes, you want a logentry in a special logfile?
With one entry for every finished thread?

RoyalMail
10-12-2004, 09:24 PM
I still don't understand.
How are the threads started?

Are you talking about any thread?
So if some thread is started from somewhere, and then finishes, you want a logentry in a special logfile?
With one entry for every finished thread?

What? No, I'd like to see a big button on here labelled 'PRINT ME' which would print out our conversation in one continuous sheet or sheets. For the definition of thread see the Jargon File.

Incidentally on the topic of notification of replies on here, I got a bundle (seven or eight) of them this morning dated from the last few days; from the headers they've been stuck in the Knoppix servers for that time. Is this common experience?
And the URLs wouldn't open in Konqueror properly either!

And as far as printing goes one of the Eurica moments on K. for me was discovering that a2ps was available in the distro' and worked directly to my printer, which is a Panasonic laser printer that doesn't understand PostScript!!!

Regds. RM.

Cuddles
10-13-2004, 02:32 PM
RoyalMail,

( 1 ) Email topic notifications: I knew the emails weren't going out, so I allerted the Site Administrator, the reason you got a slew of them, was that notifications were not "running", but were still being placed in a "queue", just like if you were printing documents, but your printer was out of paper. When the Site Administrator got the notifications running again, like you put paper in the printer, the "queue" was spooled, and, as in the case of a backed up print queue, all the jobs waiting, got sent out... It happens, sorry...

( 2 ) As for your printing a thread / topic, from within a web site, the best I can think of is to use the "Print" from within your web browser. If the "thread" goes more than a few pages ( screens ), you will have to initiate multiple "prints" per each "screen"... The "print" within the web browser "should" print everything that is on the "page" - I do a lot of printing, using Mozilla, on MapQuest, and when I print them with the "print" option found under "File", it prints more than three pages, which is more than was displayed in the "visible" screen, but not scrolled.