PDA

View Full Version : Yet another XP recovery

giacomix
10-05-2004, 02:23 PM
Howdy All,

my Tablet XP got somehow corrupted, and the laptop won't boot, not even in safe mode (it re-boots by itself every time). So, I thought of trying to access my HD with Knoppix. I hope I can find some help here, I'm not exactly tech-savvy. Here's my question(s):

1) Is it possible to make a bootable USB memory card (256MB) with the credit-card CD distribution of Knoppix? HOW?

2) If that's possible, and I manage to see the HD fron Knoppix, will I be able to burn a CD on my USB CD-RW?

TIA!

giacomix
10-05-2004, 02:53 PM
whoops, my apologies. Just realized that my laptop just won't boot from a memory stick. Let me reformulate my questions then:

1) Assuming that I can get to boot from a Knoppix LiveCD, how do I save the data I want? Could I save them on the USB memory stick?

(I have a second laptop, but it runs 98, so I guess I cannot link the two computers together, can I?)

Henk Poley
10-05-2004, 03:12 PM
Assuming that I can get to boot from a Knoppix LiveCD, how do I save the data I want? Could I save them on the USB memory stick?

(I have a second laptop, but it runs 98, so I guess I cannot link the two computers together, can I?)
If you have a network (or a cross-over ethernet cable) you could plug your tablet (running from the Knoppix CD) into the network and transfer the files to a 'shared folder' on your Win98 machine. Wireless networking will probably not work. Pen input won't work either, as since the wacom driver is not included on the Knoppix CD.

Just a little walktrough:
Klick on the house icon at the bottom to start Konqueror in filemanager mode. Klick on the red flag in the sidebar on the left. Now klick on Devices, and then on the correct harddisk partition (probably hda1). A thingy will popup shortly telling that it's "mounting" the partition. When it disappears you will see the files on your Windows drive inside the filemanager.

Open another Konqueror window. Type smb:/ in the address bar to see all the network shares that are found. If it doesn't seem to work, be shure the network card actually works, try accessing google or something.

Copy files as usual (like under Microsoft Windows).

giacomix
10-05-2004, 03:19 PM
If you have a network (or a cross-over ethernet cable) you could plug your tablet (running from the Knoppix CD) into the network and transfer the files to a 'shared folder' on your Win98 machine.

Sounds good... thanks! I have a router that I use for wireless networking, but I see it can be used as a normal router as well. Never set up a network tho, hope it won't be a problem. Maybe it'll be easier with a cross-over ethernet cable?

Anyways, all I need now is to get my Knoppix bootable CD in the mail, then I'll most probably be back bothering you guys again :)

Thx!

Henk Poley
10-05-2004, 03:46 PM
Sounds good... thanks! I have a router that I use for wireless networking, but I see it can be used as a normal router as well. Never set up a network tho, hope it won't be a problem. Maybe it'll be easier with a cross-over ethernet cable?

Anyways, all I need now is to get my Knoppix bootable CD in the mail, then I'll most probably be back bothering you guys again :)

Thx!
Most of the time Tablet PCs use Broadcom chipsets (mine does..), which are unsupported under Linux. Broadcom doesn't release the specs for all it's chips. But you could try asking someone else. I don't know anything about wireless config under Linux/KDE.

btw, I just started Knoppix (3.7) and the 'red flag' I spoke of is not there (only some dummy icon), the tab is is named Services though, it's the bottom most tab.

giacomix
10-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Wonderful... Knoppix worked just smoothly.

Now I have a further question: after I saved all my sensitive data on a different computer, I would now like to try and repair the faulty XP disc.

Any suggestions on what programs should I run from Knoppix (or dowload?)

THANKS!