PDA

View Full Version : knoppix-installer vs. knx-hdinstall

vvirmani
10-06-2004, 05:22 AM
Knoppix 3.3 install to hd using knx-hdinstall worked great for me.

Now I am trying out Knoppix 3.4 and 3.6. Both work well off CD and the new versions of KDE etc. are a big improvement.

However, knoppix-installer which is currently at 0.3.14 does not
work for me. I am only interested in Debian-like install on a partition where other partitions on the drive have XP (no MBR changes).

Tried to copy the old knx-hdinstall script but that does not work at all. Hope the new knoppix-installer will improve soon, or somebody make
knx-hdinstall available on Knoppix 3.4, 3.6.

Okay going to see if the July Kanotix release has better hd install support.... :arrow: :arrow:

markb
10-06-2004, 06:25 AM
However, knoppix-installer which is currently at 0.3.14 does not work for me.

It would probably be helpful to say specifically how it "does not work" ...

Anyhow, I have also found that a HD install of Knoppix V3.6 into the start of a partition (i.e. not MBR) does not work. I get "device-mapper" errors during the install script and then the machine hangs on reboot. V3.4 and earlier worked fine for me. I haven't seen anybody else explicitly discuss this critical problem with V3.6 so it must only affect a few installations. I have given up on Knoppix until the next version hoping this will get fixed. I am using Mepis 2004.03 at the moment (which is brilliant BTW - all hardware is recognised automatically and the fonts/presentation seems superior to Knoppix).

vvirmani
10-06-2004, 11:45 PM

Okay! The floppy does not reports 'Operating System Not Found'
Making the installed partition active also says 'Operating System Not Found'

While using knoppix-installer, there are several error which differ depending on the machine I am installing on...

Both laptops have 4 active partition. First 2 are NTFS and have Windows OS and data. I am always installing to /dev/hda3. Swap on /dev/hda4 always works okay.

As it turns out, Kanotix HD install is very similar, infact the version is also reported at 0.3.14. Needless to say that it has the same result as Knoppix 3.4 and 3.6.

Still have Kanoppix 3.3 lying around and the knx-hdinstall there is good!
Okay I take a look at Mepis and wait for next version of knoppix-installer.
:roll:

richb
10-07-2004, 12:29 AM

Anyhow, I have also found that a HD install of Knoppix V3.6 into the start of a partition (i.e. not MBR) does not work. I get "device-mapper" errors during the install script and then the machine hangs on reboot. V3.4 and earlier worked fine for me. I haven't seen anybody else explicitly discuss this critical problem with V3.6 so it must only affect a few installations. I have given up on Knoppix until the next version hoping this will get fixed. I am using Mepis 2004.03 at the moment (which is brilliant BTW - all hardware is recognised automatically and the fonts/presentation seems superior to Knoppix).

Yes I liked Mepis too. Except I could not download a big file without having it stall. This led me to explore other distros. knoppix 3.6 works great for me. No problems and all my hardware is detected as well.