PDA

View Full Version : enable nfs on lan

phaedral
10-06-2004, 04:22 PM
Greetings. I am working on rhce exercises, which include installing to machine B via nfs to machine A. My machine A is a laptop dual booting knoppix 3.6 and centos-3 (a rhel3 rebuild) I have been able to get the nfs going under centos, but not under knoppix. I tried searching the forum for nfs but most of the talk seems to be about using nfs to install knoppix, rather than setting up nfs to let other machines install *from* knoppix. All pointers appreciated.

garyng
10-06-2004, 05:01 PM
apt-get install nfs-user-server

or

you need to have the nfs kernel module and

apt-get install nfs-kernel-server

Don't know if the liveCD version includes it though.

user unknown
10-07-2004, 02:30 AM
and rhce asks how to get nfs run on a knoppix-system?

garyng
10-07-2004, 10:21 AM
and rhce asks how to get nfs run on a knoppix-system?

well, just check /etc/init.d/ to see if there is such a thing. Since it would be either there or not there for a liveCD. For a installed KNOPPIX, it is basically a debian that one can just install whatever is appropriate.

phaedral
10-12-2004, 01:29 AM
I thought this question died for lack of interest...the notification seems to have taken the long way around the net.

No, rhce doesn't actually want me to serve nfs from debian. ;) But I figured since the knoppix install is my primary os on this box it'd be nice to know how to do it...the rhel box is a secondary machine, no biggie what's running on it.

Anyway, I got help on #debian, fixed me right up: nfs-kernel-server start; exportfs is what I needed, having already tweaked the /etc/exports file. I blogged my joy, but didn't think there'd been any activity here; mea culpa.

I think folks already guessed it's a knoppix hd install. But, word of warning, I've heard the folks at #debian don't consider a knoppix install to be a debian install. Put differently, I was chatting with a guy who said he got flamed on #debian when he asked about his knoppix. ymmv. I chose not to mention knoppix when I posed my questions.

http://www.oblios-cap.com/blosxom.cgi/2004/10/09#95rhce