PDA

View Full Version : how do you format a hard drive from knoppix?

likwid
10-06-2004, 09:30 PM
i'm using kernal 2.6, i can see my SATA hard drive, and i need to format it, but i'm a total linux virgin, and need told EXACTLY, STEP BY STEP what to do in order to format the drive. PLEASE HELP! :(

.simgar
10-06-2004, 09:52 PM
I know it isn't a step-by-step solution (I'm not at a knoppix machine nor do I have the cd with me) and, though relatively new as well, I believe the program QTParted will do the job for you.

It comes bundled with Knoppix--I'm assuming you have at least version 3.4 since you are using the 2.6 kernel--and to run it you can either search through the application menu or simply type in the Run Program dialogue the command "qtparted"

I'm also guessing that your HD is already recognized by Knoppix and ready-to-mount. The program is relatively easy to use--simply choose the volume and partition type/size and you're ready to go. Please do remember that when you format a HD you lose all the data.

user unknown
10-07-2004, 01:36 AM
To partition a drive isn't formating.

I don't know, whether qtparted creates a filesystem on a partition.
But before the filesystem is created, you cannot mount it.

fdisk /dev/DEVICE
can be used for partitioning, where you choose Linux-Partion (nr 82).
fdisk has interactive help, and will not do anything, if you don't write your changes (command: w), so you may harmlessly look how it works.

After partitioning, a filesystem is created by

mkfs.FILESYSTEM /dev/DEVICE

Without knowing SATA-drives, I don't want to guess around, how your DEVICE is named.
And without knowing the FILESYSTEM (reiserfs, ext3, ...) - but perhaps you don't have an idea, which filesystem to choose, so I advice reiserfs.

firebyrd10
10-07-2004, 03:52 AM
Qtparted auto formats after it partitions.