PDA

View Full Version : 24 days and a few problems left.

VeeDubb
03-25-2003, 06:40 AM
:wink: The day I did a koppix install on my HD, I also did a reinstall of windows XP which as most of you know requires activation within 30 days. Unlike the last distro I tried (Lycoris), I have fixed every problem that would keep me from abandoning windows forever, except a few. I need a new modem and there's some other "non-problems" but I still have three real problems keeping me from being windows free. These are the remaining prblems, and If I don't fix them in the next 24 days I'm S.O.L. because I activated XP on my girlfriends laptop and I can't activate it on my desktop now.

1. I still can't get my lexar media multi-card reader working. I know it's possible because when I boot from CD, it works perfectly, but on a HD install, I can't make it work. Everytime I try to mount a memory card I get an error telling me that it's not a valid block device.

2. I have a pocket PC and I can't get SynCE working. http://synce.sourceforge.net/synce It requires the recompiling of the kernal after editing ipaq.h The problem is that the ipaq.h file doesn't exist.

3. For whatever reason, ever since my last re-install of knoppix a couple days ago, my CD burner is not recognized. The CD recognizes it and it's listed while booting but there no entry in the fstab and I can't select it as a device.

That's pretty much it. I've learned enough about linux to fix all my other problems, but these three are still killing me. If I get these done, I'll be done with windows. As always, help is appreciated.

Alex1
03-25-2003, 03:40 PM
VeeDubb
"The day I did a koppix install on my HD, I also did a reinstall of windows XP which as most of you know requires activation within 30 days. Unlike the last distro I tried (Lycoris), I have fixed every problem that would keep me from abandoning windows forever, except a few. I need a new modem and there's some other "non-problems" but I still have three real problems keeping me from being windows free. These are the remaining prblems, and If I don't fix them in the next 24 days I'm S.O.L. because I activated XP on my girlfriends laptop and I can't activate it on my desktop now."
WinXP allows you to install on a normal desktop & a laptop, so if you can't activate it on your 2nd system goto microsofts webpage to obtain details of your nearest microsoft licencing site who should be able to help you activate your latest install.
I had this problem a couple of months ago.
Alex1

rickenbacherus
03-25-2003, 06:18 PM
:wink: The day I did a koppix install on my HD, I also did a reinstall of windows XP which as most of you know requires activation within 30 days.
I didn't know that- never had to suffer through XP whew!

1. I still can't get my lexar media multi-card reader working. I know it's possible because when I boot from CD, it works perfectly, but on a HD install, I can't make it work. Everytime I try to mount a memory card I get an error telling me that it's not a valid block device.

Boot the cd- look at lsmod, write it down, copy it somewhere whatever, then boot your hd install, look at lsmod- hopefully they are the same- if not......well you know. I would also compare your fstab. Do you know about 'usbview'?
I think it comes with Knoppix but can't remember. Open a term and type usbview and see if your device shows up there.

3. For whatever reason, ever since my last re-install of knoppix a couple days ago, my CD burner is not recognized. The CD recognizes it and it's listed while booting but there no entry in the fstab and I can't select it as a device.

Are you telling us that on previous installs of Knoppix your cdr was already in fstab? It's not that uncommon for a second cdr not to show up in fstab but it's easy enough to add it. If you need help post it.

Sorry but I don't know the first thing about a tablet pc. But.......I'm working on it. :)

god
03-25-2003, 06:27 PM
WinXP allows you to install on a normal desktop & a laptop, so if you can't activate it on your 2nd system goto microsofts webpage to obtain details of your nearest microsoft licencing site who should be able to help you activate your latest install.
I had this problem a couple of months ago.
Alex1

really? i thought the EULA said one install on one computer.....

VeeDubb
03-25-2003, 07:58 PM
XP is one install on one computer. In fact, because it had been activated on my desktop in thepast, I had to call MS on the phone and explain myself to get a new activation code.

As for the CD burner, yes, it used to be recognized. I actualy reinstalled yesterday and it's still not there, no clue. I am trying to figure out what to put in the fstab for it. I think it's sr1.

AS for USB vie that's the wierd thing. It's a four card reader and all of them show up as scsi hard drives when I use the CD. When I do a local install, they are all in the fstab, but they are all comented out for some bizar reason. uncommenting them does not help. When I tryt he USBview only one of the slot, the smart media slot, shows up. Where is lsmod? is it in etc.? I've never heard of this file.

Of course to all, I realy appreciate the help. If I get these two done all I'll need is the USB ipaq driver.

rickenbacherus
03-25-2003, 09:34 PM
As for the CD burner, yes, it used to be recognized. I actualy reinstalled yesterday and it's still not there, no clue. I am trying to figure out what to put in the fstab for it. I think it's sr1.

SCSI always starts with 0 so it's scd0 then scd1 and so on. Post your fstab if you need assistance editing it. Also you should really create symlinks.

When I tryt he USBview only one of the slot, the smart media slot, shows up. Where is lsmod? is it in etc.? I've never heard of this file.

lsmod is not a file. enter it on the command line and it will tell you which modules (drivers) are loaded. Post it and hopefully I can tell you if all the correct usb drivers are installed. This may solve your ipaq problem too.

VeeDubb
03-26-2003, 08:01 PM
I edited my fstab and created a mount point for my burner, so now I can mount my CD burner, I haven't tried burning yet, but I'm sure it's fine.

Here is my fstab.

## filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda5 / ext2 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda6 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/sr1 /cdburn iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# partitions found by Knoppix}}
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat auto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 ext2 auto,users,exec 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 vfat auto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
/dev/sda /mnt/sda auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
/dev/sdc /mnt/sdc auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
/dev/sdd /mnt/sdd auto noauto,users,exec 0 0

As far as the card readers go, they are sda,sdb1,sdc, and sdd. I'm assuming that sdb is different because when I installed knoppix, there was a card in the slot. All 4 of those lines were commented out at first and uncommenting them did not help. Their mount points o exist and when I try to make a link on the desktop with new/harddrive, I can select them as a device. But I get the same error every time, /dev/sdwhatever is not a valid block device. I could scream.....
THere was also a line for my floppy, but word pad in windows couldn't read the file corectly and I cropped it out on accident trying to clean up the file.

Here are the results of lsmod. I'm afraid it's all greek to me.

Module Size Used by Not tainted
lvm-mod 46368 0 (autoclean)
parport\_\{\}pc 24808 1 (autoclean)
lp 7524 0 (autoclean)
parport 22528 1 (autoclean) [parport\_\{\}pc
lp]
autofs4 8724 0 (unused)
af\_\{\}packet 13480 0 (unused)
agpgart 34752 0 (unused)
ext3 62944 0 (unused)
jbd 45524 0 [ext3]
ntfs 50816 0 (unused)
nls\_\{\}iso8859-1 2844 2
nls\_\{\}cp437 4348 2
emu10k1 59752 0
sound 54572 0 [emu10k1]
ac97\_\{\}codec 9992 0 [emu10k1]
soundcore 3396 7 [emu10k1 sound]
8139too 17096 0 (unused)
mii 2112 0 [8139too]
emu10k1-gp 1192 0 (unused)
gameport 1308 0 [emu10k1-gp]
serial 51908 0
scanner 8668 0 (unused)
usb-storage 54492 0 (unused)
printer 7712 0
usb-ohci 18088 0 (unused)
usbcore 57120 1 [scanner usb-storage printer
usb-ohci]
apm 9644 1
rtc 6908 0

Anyway, any further help would be great.

rickenbacherus
03-26-2003, 09:00 PM
Their mount points o exist
Just to clarify - the mount points you have in fstab DO exist yes?

But I get the same error every time, /dev/sdwhatever is not a valid block device.
Are you trying to mount them with a card inserted?

scanner 8668 0 (unused)
usb-storage 54492 0 (unused)
printer 7712 0
usb-ohci 18088 0 (unused)
usbcore 57120 1 [scanner usb-storage printer
usb-ohci]
apm 9644 1
rtc 6908 0

Anyway, any further help would be great.

Become root and do a:
modprobe scsi-mod
Make sure a card is in the reader (at least in the one you are trying to mount) and then try to mount. Post back w/ results.

VeeDubb
03-26-2003, 09:21 PM
Yes, the mount points DO exist. I don't know much about linux, but I know that the mount points need to be created in the file system.
Yes, obviously I'm trying when card is inserted. wil post back results soon.

VeeDubb
03-27-2003, 04:27 AM
modprobe scsi-mod does nothing
I get an error saying something to the effect of can't loadmodule, scsi-mod or can't read module. So now what?

RockMumbles
03-27-2003, 04:26 PM
VeeDubb,

On your card reader, are you booting up with cards installed?

rock

VeeDubb
03-27-2003, 06:59 PM
VeeDubb,

On your card reader, are you booting up with cards installed?

rock

Yes

rickenbacherus
03-27-2003, 07:28 PM
What does

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

tell you?

VeeDubb
03-28-2003, 12:41 AM
T: Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#= 1 Spd=12 MxCh= 4
B: Alloc= 22/900 us ( 2%), #Int= 2, #Iso= 0
D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=0000 ProdID=0000 Rev= 0.00
S: Product=USB OHCI Root Hub
S: SerialNumber=d2861000
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr= 0mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 2 Ivl=255ms
T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 2 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 1.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=04a9 ProdID=1056 Rev= 1.00
S: Manufacturer=Canon
S: Product=BJC-2100
S: SerialNumber=F.C6h0
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr= 2mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=07(print) Sub=01 Prot=02 Driver=usblp
E: Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=02 Dev#= 3 Spd=12 MxCh= 4
D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=0451 ProdID=1446 Rev= 1.10
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=100mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 1 Ivl=255ms
T: Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=03 Port=03 Cnt=01 Dev#= 5 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 1.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=04a9 ProdID=2207 Rev= 1.00
S: Manufacturer=Canon
S: Product=CanoScan
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=500mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=ff Driver=usbscanner
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 1 Ivl=16ms
E: Ad=03(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=02 Cnt=03 Dev#= 4 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=16 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=05dc ProdID=1017 Rev= 1.00
S: Manufacturer=Generic
S: Product=USB Storage Device
S: SerialNumber=0AEC305000001A004
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=100mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=usb-storage
E: Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms

This was with two cards. One in each of the two slots I realy care about. As before, most of this may as well be greek.

VeeDubb
03-28-2003, 02:49 AM
Okay, it looks like I will be able to install SynCE with apt-get next week after I get my new modem, so all I need now is that card reader to work. Just that one simple thing.......

I've gone well beyond my knowledge and you guys have gotten me through eerything else, just tell me what you need for that last...

VeeDubb
03-28-2003, 09:14 AM
Sorry but I don't know the first thing about a tablet pc. But.......I'm working on it. :)

This is probably moot at this point, but I just noticed this line, and I should point out that a PocketPC has NOTHING to do with a Tablet PC. Tablet PC's run a special version of WindowsXP and if it weren't for the mountains of proprietay hardware could probably run linux. A PocketPC runs on a different proccesser and WindowsCE (the same thing smartphones are based one) With the PPC UI on the top the same way KDE sits on top of the Xwindow.

rickenbacherus
03-28-2003, 07:30 PM
so all I need now is that card reader to work. Just that one simple thing.......

OK VeeDubb - how are you trying to mount them? That is to say what are you entering on the command line?

VeeDubb
03-28-2003, 08:52 PM
At first I made a folder on my desktop and inside that, created what I guess you Linux guys call simlinks. I right clicked then selected new/harddrive and tried to mount using that, (I also tried makinga one f those for a floppy that pointed to the same place and a CD pointing to the same place. NO dice.

When that didn't work, I made them directly on the desktop.

When that didn't work I tried mounting fromt the command line. reguardless of how I try to mount it's allways the same error. "/dev/sdwhatever is not a valid block device"

VeeDubb
03-28-2003, 08:53 PM
IO think what I entered was mnt /dev/sdwhatever But I don't remember for sure. I looked up what the appropriate code was and used that. I'm certain it's something else.

rickenbacherus
03-28-2003, 09:04 PM
Become root:
su
<give password>

mount -t auto /dev/sda1 /mnt/?

I don't know what mount points you have. You can make one like this:
su
<password>
cd /mnt
mkdir card

Then it would be
mount -t auto /dev/sda1 /mnt/card

VeeDubb
03-28-2003, 11:37 PM
My mount points are /mnt/sda, /mnt/sdb1, /mnt/sdc, and /mnt/sdd. These were allready there.

sda and sdd, I don't care about, they are the memory stick and smart media slots respectively, I don't use that kind of card. sdb is listed with a 1 because there was a card there durrnig my most recent reinstall, so it saw that there was one partition, it's entries are the same as the ones for knoppix via CD. sdc has everything but mounting set to auto in the fstab, so which ever is correct, "should" work.

as root, I entered
mount -t auto /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1
response was "mount: /dev/sdb1 is not a valid block device"

Then I tried
mount -t auto /dev/sdc /mnt/sdb
response was "mount: /dev/sdc is not a valid block device"

This is the same error I get when trying to mount with kde or with that block mounter app that sits in the tray.

Fabianx
03-28-2003, 11:45 PM
My moutn points are /mnt/sda, /mnt/sdb1, /mnt/sdc, and /mnt/sdd. These were allready there.

sda and sdd I don't care about, they are the memory stick and smart media slots respectively, I don't use that kind of card. sdb is listed with a 1 because there was a card there durrnig my most recent reinstall. it's entries are the same as theones for knoppic via CD. sdc has everything but mounting et to auto in the fstab, so which ever is corrct, "should" work.

as root, I entered
mount -t auto /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1
response was "mount: /dev/sdb1 is not a valid block device"

Then I tried
mount -t auto /dev/sdc /mnt/sdb
response was "mount: /dev/sdc is not a valid block device"

This is the same error I get when trying to mount with kde or with that block mounter app that sits in the tray.

I got an idea ...

I think knoppix uses an automounter for accessing this devices ...

Perhaps you could start that and see if it helps (as root):

/etc/init.d/autofs start

I dunno if this can help, but if you are brave (dunno what can happen, but I think nothing bad) you can reuse knoppix-autoconfig.

This would be then (as root):

/etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig

(Then it does normal auto-configuration, perhaps then the right usb-module/program is loaded)

cu

Fabian

VeeDubb
03-28-2003, 11:51 PM
THanks for the clever tip. Ill try that and post back. I've got some errands to run, but I'll post it this evening. Also, as easy as it is to reinstal koppix, don'tknow what I'd be scared about. As ong as I don't have to reinstal my nvidia drivers.....

VeeDubb
03-29-2003, 03:16 AM
The first command you posted didn't do anything and the autoconfigure ran, but did not work. THanks anyway. Still trying...

Fabianx
03-29-2003, 02:21 PM
The first command you posted didn't do anything and the autoconfigure ran, but did not work. THanks anyway. Still trying...

Hm, could you post complete dmesg output ? (I know its huge, but could help; dmesg is a program)

cu

Fabian

JoDaY
08-04-2003, 06:29 PM
Hi !

I've a multi reader/writer from sitecom: my problem was that i could access only CompactFlash in /dev/sda1

I found somewhere in this forum that you have a parameter about luns to pass:

max_scsi_luns=4

You can add it to your append of lilo

Your memory stick will be the last device, if compact flash is /dev/sda (exactly /dev/sda1)
the memory stick will be /dev/sdd (/dev/sdd1)

The problem is that knoppix detect the first scsi luns but not the other

I hope it'll work for you... :)

probono
01-20-2004, 09:18 PM
With Knoppix 3.3, it is no longer neccessary to patch ipaq.c. You can now simply use:

sudo insmod usbserial
sudo insmod ipaq vendor=0x3340 product=0x3326
# use your PDA's own IDs instead