PDA

View Full Version : * V3.2-2003-03-23 (small updates)

Tigren
03-25-2003, 06:48 AM
- new PCMCIA wireless card entries
- wavelan-ng-modules is back (forgot that in the previous release)
- removed some older/unneeded gnome libraries
- kdevelop seems to create KDE applications again after updating
some KDE-packages from unstable.

tooaru
03-25-2003, 08:54 AM
- new PCMCIA wireless card entries
- wavelan-ng-modules is back (forgot that in the previous release)
- removed some older/unneeded gnome libraries
- kdevelop seems to create KDE applications again after updating
some KDE-packages from unstable.

OH MY GOSH

If this has my card....3com Wireless LAN ATMEL Based w/ XJACK antenna I'm going to TRULY LOVE this distribution.

I hope my wireless card works with the new updates....This WILL BE my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE linux ditribution if it does.

Thanks EITHER WAY though for this great version of Linux...Never been able to install Linux this easy in my life.

Here's a thread i posted recommending KNOPPIX on a site I goto

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=165299

If its ATMEL support isn't already in this update...i hope you'll look at this site....or i hope someone will figure out how to put this in and let me know how.

http://atmelwlandriver.sourceforge.net/

THANKS AGAIN!

mag
03-25-2003, 02:58 PM
I have d/led this and tried to use it but I still have a problem with X server not coming up at all. I do have ATI Rage 128 32 Mb video card. I have posted this problem to HDD install forum. I'd like to use ati instead of fbdev xmodule. Any suggestions or possible solutions is appreciated.

Thank you,

mag

Eride
03-25-2003, 05:20 PM
:?:
Is the file ftp://ftp.freenet.de/pub/ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-03-24-EN.iso The same as the release that we are discusing here, or something newer/different?
:?:

tooaru
03-25-2003, 08:42 PM
I'm reminded of the meaning of the word BETA...because this version of KNOPPIX

Won't EVEN boot on my laptop machine.

But KUDOS for getting OpenOffice.org fixed so quickly...

It won't boot (says boot failed) on my laptop machine but I tried a different machine and it worked.

But something must've changed because it used to boot quite well on that laptop machine before.
But this is an unstable kernel i think so i guess i'll just have to keep waiting for more new releases.

Keep up the GREAT work...

RockMumbles
03-25-2003, 09:06 PM
I learned quite a while ago with linux, if an older release works use it.

rock

mag
03-25-2003, 09:38 PM
I learned quite a while ago with linux, if an older release works use it.

rock

You're absolutely right on that. I have Libranet2.7 and Knoppix 3.1 November release installed on my HD. They work really great. Good thing is that they are based on Debian. I have recently upgraded both of them to the latest software. But still, I'd like to try out new Linux flavors as they come out.

mag

Eride
03-25-2003, 10:01 PM
what is new in the release 03-24 that was released today at ftp.freenet.de mirror?

-Erik

RockMumbles
03-25-2003, 11:33 PM
mag,

Good to hear about other Libranet users hanging around here ;)
I've been using Libranet 1.9 and 2.0 for almost 2 years now. Even used libranet 1.2.x (until I mangled it)

How does Libranet work with your ati card?

Have you tried the XF86Config-4 sw_cursor option in knoppix?

(snip)...
Section "Device"
### Available Driver options are:-
# sw_cursor is needed for some ati and radeon cards
#Option "sw_cursor"
(snip)...

just wondering?

rock

jimbo
03-26-2003, 12:36 AM
You get all the convenience and stability of Debian, without all the hassle.

This is my new favorite (hdinstalled) distro! :D

Rixel
03-26-2003, 02:33 AM
The topic for this item should have the release as 24, not 23, according to the changelog.

mag
03-26-2003, 03:01 PM
mag,

Good to hear about other Libranet users hanging around here ;)
I've been using Libranet 1.9 and 2.0 for almost 2 years now. Even used libranet 1.2.x (until I mangled it)

How does Libranet work with your ati card?

Have you tried the XF86Config-4 sw_cursor option in knoppix?

(snip)...
Section "Device"
### Available Driver options are:-
# sw_cursor is needed for some ati and radeon cards
#Option "sw_cursor"
(snip)...

just wondering?

rock

Well, tell you the truth, I love my Libranet 2.7. It is my primary OS. Libranet works excellent with my ati card. I've been using Libranet since version 1.9. I'm very happy with it. I'll purchase the next release when it comes out. I would like to use it at work. As for Knoppix, I can use the November release without any problem. Actually that is the version that's installed on my HD. The newer releases won't start the X server. I can only use them if and only if I use xmodule=fbdev. sw_cursor has no effect on it whatsoever. With debian based distro, you really don't need new releases. Once you install one, you can then upgrade to the latest software. But it is fun to try out new releases.

A. Jorge Garcia
03-26-2003, 03:16 PM
Sounds like I'm not upgrading to V3.2 any time soon! I'm using 2003.0101 and 1108.2002 without a problem. The only thing I need to upgrade is the latest changes to GCC's gcj java port project. Guess I'll just have to wait a bit!

Regards,

mag
03-26-2003, 05:30 PM
Sounds like I'm not upgrading to V3.2 any time soon! I'm using 2003.0101 and 1108.2002 without a problem. The only thing I need to upgrade is the latest changes to GCC's gcj java port project. Guess I'll just have to wait a bit!

Regards,

With Debian, you really don't have to upgrade to any distro specific version as you know. If you have a solid, stable system, just stick with it. I think this is the beauty of having a Debian system installed unlike other RPM, tarball based systems (no disrespect here for other distros at all). By the way I have Slackware 9.0 installed along with my Libranet 2.7(up-to-date), and Knoppix 3.1 (up-to-date).

mag

audioaficionado
03-26-2003, 10:46 PM
:wink: Knoppix 3.1 EN 12-12-2002 was the first Linux to ever boot on my machine. The HD install wasn't very polished so I went with Libranet 2.0 essentials. I apt-got the testing and now the logon screen is Debian. Libranet has been completely replaced durring the process. It's been over a week since I was in Debian as I've been too busy playing with the Knoppix 3.2 CeBIT rip. I'll have to try apt-get kde and see if they finally got kde3.11 up for sarge. I'll also try to get gnome 2.2.

As for Knoppix 3.2 final, when they (Klaus) are done fixing it, I'll try the latest EN version. Also the next KnoppixKDE from edaz.

A. Jorge Garcia
03-27-2003, 01:51 AM
Well, my problem is that I can't install anything to the hdds at school. That's why I moved to a bootable CD distro like KNOPPIX. I need a new lab b/c my hdds are dying....

Regards,

audioaficionado
03-27-2003, 02:29 AM
Try the latest 2003-03-24 EN and see if that works.

Or wait until next week's releases :lol:

boehmb
03-27-2003, 04:04 AM
I wonder when SMB printing will be fixed. The last version I downloaded was 3/23/03. No mention in the changelog about SMB Windows shared printing with the 3/26 release...

audioaficionado
03-27-2003, 07:10 AM
The 2003-03-26 release doesn't have it?

The change log only goes to 2003-03-23.

So far I haven't been able to print at all with the v3.2 CeBIT rip as knoppix can't find the cups files during boot up. I've printed with v3.1 2002-12-12 just fine. I hope the latest v3.2 2003-03-26 has CUPS fixed as this makes the second 700Mb ISO I've downloaded today.

ss
03-27-2003, 08:03 AM
- mknbi bugfix (Caution: mknbi 1.2.12-1 in debian-testing is currently
broken) etherboot network bootwing with knoppix-terminalserver
should work again
- scribus update 0.9.7 (thanks to Fabian Franz for the hint)
- Re-enabled >= 32GB support for some old IDE controllers in kernel
- Recompile linux-wlan-ng modules with gcc-2.95
- New knoblind.bat blind-friendly bootfloppy generator by Osvaldo La Rosa
- Support for lang=be in knoppix-autoconfig
- cdrtools update 2.01+a06
- atitvout
- aumix is now started as background task in knoppix-autoconfig
(some broken soundcards seem to block on mixer-ioctls, preventing
the init script to continue).

Viro
03-27-2003, 01:45 PM
I've just installed Knoppix 3.2, and I think it rocks. Everything looks beautiful, and I haven't hit any problems yet. All the fonts (even Mozilla) are antialiased, which is definitely cool.

Tom Tiger
03-27-2003, 03:13 PM
I've been trying out 3.2 experimental (23-03) on one of my test notebooks at work
No problems sofar, it prints, I get the full screen, network works, no problems.
(Toshiba 4090 satelite, PII 400mhz)

The 3.1 was excellent, it was so good I've used it on several systems to test
if they were working (Toshiba Notebooks)
Sofar I ran it through almost the entire line of Toshiba notebooks and the
only problem I found was a yamaha soundproblem on the Tecra 8000 which
pherhaps can be cured with oss. It is perfect for fast testing.

I'm downloading the 03-26 EN now, if it rocks like 3.2 or 3.1 I might even quit
using windows all toghether :D

L8tr... Tom

boehmb
03-27-2003, 04:07 PM
Does anyone know if printing to Windows shared printers works yet? I have not downloaded 3/26/03 yet, but will not if it doesn't yet work. Everything else on the latest release seems great. ...Thanks

Bobmeister
03-27-2003, 06:43 PM
Where is this 3-26 release I hear you talking about? Is it posted anywhere....am I missing something? I see the 3-23 (or 24) small update release on the servers. Can I get the 3-26 release? I just gave away my CD of the "small update" CD and will burn another image unless I can get this 3-26 release. Huh? I think the old age is setting in....

rickenbacherus
03-27-2003, 08:08 PM
Where is this 3-26 release I hear you talking about? Is it posted anywhere....am I missing something? I see the 3-23 (or 24) small update release on the servers. Can I get the 3-26 release? I just gave away my CD of the "small update" CD and will burn another image unless I can get this 3-26 release. Huh? I think the old age is setting in....

hey bobmeister
I didn't see it on any US mirrors but it is here:
http://ftp.freenet.de/pub/ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/

Bobmeister
03-27-2003, 08:31 PM
Well, thank-you very much....I'm downloading it now! Don't go blind looking at that computer screen all day. I am on my way to the bookstore (with my kids...they are off of school for spring break) to get a GENERAL book about Linux! Yup....must be addicted now....

Yo, Bro

boehmb
03-27-2003, 09:33 PM
Audioaficiando: Did you try printing with the 3-26-03 distro yet? I'm still waiting for printing to be fixed in 3.2... Many thanks!

boehmb
03-28-2003, 02:15 AM
Never mind. The 3/26/03 distro is perfect! Printing works great and it looks great. Thank you.

Bobmeister
03-28-2003, 03:58 AM
Yep...did the 3-26 thing today....works FINE. I got my Laserjet to print right away and this thing looks GREAT. My Windows driver is a piece of crap and HP won't support it...so you have to use the "canned" driver in XP. In Knoppix, the driver gives me FULL resolution under PostScript and the printing has never looked better with this old clunker (got it for free from a person that I see on these forums!)

Anyway, hat's off to Klaus for a very attractive release.

cvevans
12-31-2008, 04:06 PM
I have d/led this and tried to use it but I still have a problem with X server not coming up at all. I do have ATI Rage 128 32 Mb video card. I have posted this problem to HDD install forum. I'd like to use ati instead of fbdev xmodule. Any suggestions or possible solutions is appreciated.
mag
use cheatcode xmodule=r128.
for all ATI Rage video cards.
This will get resolution up to at least 1280x1024 on most big monitors.
(should go up to 1400, but I don't get that option)