PDA

View Full Version : scsi hard drive not recognized

wa
10-08-2004, 01:59 PM
Knoppix 3.7
I am a total newbie - this is my first attempt to try Linux/Knoppix.
I can see my 3 IDE hard drives, but not my SCSI harddrive. What do I miss?
Thanks in advance

wa

eon
10-08-2004, 03:10 PM
It would help to know more about your system. :) Do you have a pci scsi adapter card? If that's how you have scsi on your system then is your board recognized?
There arre several commands you can enter at a shell or terminal to see what's going on with that drive. 1st you could look at the start up messages or log, do "dmesg" at a shell and see if your drive is listed there. Also do "lspci -v" at the shell and see if your card is identified, and you might also do "cat /proc/scsi/scsi"
One or all of these commands should give you/us more info to work with.
After we know more we can then determine what driver you need to get the drive recognized.
Hope this helps.

eon
10-08-2004, 03:16 PM
Note those commands are entered (typed at the shell) without the quotation marks and then press the enter key.
Maybe you know that already-but since you said you were new I thought I'd mention it.

Welcome to the world of linux and knoppix ( my fav distro ).

wa
10-12-2004, 05:21 AM
Thanks for assistance, neon! In the meantime I can access my SCSI drive. I don't have a clue why. I am anyway glad to learn about the commands I can enter at the shell.
My next problem is how to get to my home net work - no idea. (I can get to the internet). Maxbe I have to open a new topic.

wa