PDA

View Full Version : Debian and Windows

Matschr
10-10-2004, 12:06 AM
Hello!

On my PC where is installed Windows, now i installed also Debian with a Knoppix 3.6 - Disc. The Lilo-Bootloader i installed on the Linux-Partition. With dd if=/dev/hdb2 of=/mnt/hdb1/ll.lnx bs=512 count=1 i copied the first sektor of Debian in to the second partition of Windows (FAT32). Then i startet Windows copied the file in the first Partition of Windows (NTFS) and wrote in the boot.ini-file C:\ll.lnx="Linux"
The Problem: when i start the Computer and Choose to start Linux there come permanent the figures " 01". Can anybody help me?

firebyrd10
10-10-2004, 12:20 AM
Hello!

On my PC where is installed Windows, now i installed also Debian with a Knoppix 3.6 - Disc. The Lilo-Bootloader i installed on the Linux-Partition. With dd if=/dev/hdb2 of=/mnt/hdb1/ll.lnx bs=512 count=1 i copied the first sektor of Debian in to the second partition of Windows (FAT32). Then i startet Windows copied the file in the first Partition of Windows (NTFS) and wrote in the boot.ini-file C:\ll.lnx="Linux"
The Problem: when i start the Computer and Choose to start Linux there come permanent the figures " 01". Can anybody help me?

My guess is that because lilo is bigger then 512 your only coping part of it.

Matschr
10-10-2004, 12:56 AM
Do you know how big lilo is? I tried it with bs=1024, but it didn't work.

I have a 20GB-harddisk where is installed Windows 2000 Professional (NTFS). The second harddisk is 160GB big, where i have two partitions. A Windows FAT32-Partition and the Debian (Knoppix) - Operating System.

firebyrd10
10-10-2004, 02:24 AM
Do you know how big lilo is? I tried it with bs=1024, but it didn't work.

I have a 20GB-harddisk where is installed Windows 2000 Professional (NTFS). The second harddisk is 160GB big, where i have two partitions. A Windows FAT32-Partition and the Debian (Knoppix) - Operating System.

Nope, sorry. You could try a raw read and try and find where lilo ends.

Though I have to ask? Why do you want to do this?

Matschr
10-10-2004, 12:28 PM
I do this because i want to use the NT-Bootloader. I have on the Windows-Partitions important files. When the Lilo-Bootloader doesn't work, all the data gets lost.

garyng
10-10-2004, 02:04 PM
I do this because i want to use the NT-Bootloader. I have on the Windows-Partitions important files. When the Lilo-Bootloader doesn't work, all the data gets lost.

the boot sector is only 512 byte so your procedure is right. However, what complicate the matter is that you have 2 physical disks. Sometimes, launching it this way may confuse the boot sequence.

The 01 message you see means the boot sector has problem locating the "stage2"(the real lilo boot codes, much more than 512 byte).

I have written a w32grub last year which works with NTFS/XP. You may still be able to find it doing a search here.

firebyrd10
10-10-2004, 08:21 PM

Don't know what you mean there, I wouldn't think that Lilo would cause problems, but i'm useing grub to dual boot. Works fine for me. (windows XP)

Matschr
10-10-2004, 09:21 PM
My Win2000 didn't work well so i installed now WinXP Professional on the 20GB-Harddisk. The first 150GB of the second harddisk are for my Windows-Data. Both partitions are now FAT32-Partitions. But i can't start my Debian-Linux neither with the Lilo nor with the Grub-Loader installed in the root-partition of Debian. :cry:

firebyrd10
10-10-2004, 09:38 PM
My Win2000 didn't work well so i installed now WinXP Professional on the 20GB-Harddisk. The first 150GB of the second harddisk are for my Windows-Data. Both partitions are now FAT32-Partitions. But i can't start my Debian-Linux neither with the Lilo nor with the Grub-Loader installed in the root-partition of Debian. :cry:

did you try isntalling it to the mbr? you can always change it back.

Matschr
10-10-2004, 09:48 PM
No, i didn't try it. If i do so, it could happen that windows doesn't start, does it?

firebyrd10
10-10-2004, 10:01 PM
No, i didn't try it. If i do so, it could happen that windows doesn't start, does it?
I suppose its entirely possible, though chances are it will work just fine.

and like I said, you can always change it back.

Matschr
10-10-2004, 10:19 PM
I still do not understand why it doesn't work. I installed Debian with a older Knoppix-CD on my Laptop (near Windows) and it worked. My Laptop had only one harddisk, but it is still strange.

Matschr
10-10-2004, 10:21 PM
How i can change it back?

firebyrd10
10-10-2004, 11:45 PM
How i can change it back?

I know that you can fix it with a 98 boot disk, but that doesn't help you does it?
(if it does. just type fdisk /mbr when at the floppy prompt)

But the easiest way would to back up the Mbr and then restore it if need.

(If you only need the mdr restored/backuped then only use the first 446 bytes instead of 512 bytes. The other bytes are partiton data)

To restore

dd if=/mnt/floppy/mbr.img of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

Matschr
10-11-2004, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the info. But i trie it only if i have to do it. If i do it i am worried abaut my windows. So first i will download the real Debian images (not Knoppix) and trie if it works.

Matschr
11-06-2004, 07:34 PM
I installed the lilo in the mbr now and it works fine. Could i overwrite it also with a Win-XP-bootdisk if i uninstall my linux?

Quest-Master
11-16-2004, 11:19 PM
I installed the lilo in the mbr now and it works fine. Could i overwrite it also with a Win-XP-bootdisk if i uninstall my linux?

Yeah, just get into the WinXP recovery console and type in FIXMBR and it should work.

It's what I did when I had to remove and older distro I no longer used.

rcook
11-17-2004, 05:16 PM
There is a lilo option that will uninstall lilo from the install: lilo -u. A -U or -u option after lilo. One forces the uninstall, the other checks the date of the lilo against the date of the saved boot sector.

Then remove the partition using windows tools or a KNOPPIX CD