PDA

View Full Version : Accessing the C: drive

KillYourRadio
10-10-2004, 06:51 AM
Im a noob and i was wondering how to access the C: drive of the computer you are running Knoppix on? I tried hda1 and hda2 but nothing seems to work... Anyway of finding out what its called?

helios17
10-10-2004, 01:34 PM
On my machine, with Knoppix 3.6 hd install, I either go to hda 1 on my desktop or open my home folder, go to the side menu on the left and click devices. This gives me an option to open hda1 which houses my windoze partion on C drive. Since I installed knoppix, thats about all I use my windoze installation for is storage.

helios

Markus
10-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Try opening a console and do for instance: dmesg|grep hd or dmesg|grep sda to see where it's attached. Also you could check with cat /etc/fstab

CrashedAgain
10-11-2004, 03:48 AM
Im a noob and i was wondering how to access the C: drive of the computer you are running Knoppix on? I tried hda1 and hda2 but nothing seems to work... Anyway of finding out what its called?
Most probably it will be /dev/hda1 but it will not be available until you 'mount' it which you can do either by clicking on the hda1 icon on the desktop or by entering 'sudo mount /dev/hda1' in a terminal console. Use 'sudo mount -rw /dev/hda1' to mount it read/write (otherwise it's read only) but DON"T mount read/write if it's a windows NTFS filesystem (most win XP &NT & win 2000 systems are) because linux will screw up an NTFS filesystem if it attempts to write to it.
It will then be mounted as /mnt/hda1. Use Konqueror & browse to /mnt/hda1 to access the drive.