PDA

View Full Version : "/dev/modem" link disappears at reboot of hdd inst

artikid
10-10-2004, 02:00 PM
Hello everybody
A small recap of my predicament: I've got a HSF connexant modem on laptop where I've installed Knoppix 3.4.
I've succesfully installed Linuxant drivers (debian package) for the modem, the only problem is that at reboot the /dev/modem link disappears.
I was suggested to:
"The next time you reboot, it should suffice to only create the Ports
# mknod /dev/ttySHSF0
# ln -sf /dev/ttySHSF0 /dev/modem"
But this is a temporary solution, as the /dev/modem link disappears every time I boot....and I have to go through the procedure once again
At this point I guess the real problem is Knoppix and not the drivers...
Any suggestions on how to make the link persistent?
Regards
Artikid

CrashedAgain
10-14-2004, 12:11 AM
Hello everybody
A small recap of my predicament: I've got a HSF connexant modem on laptop where I've installed Knoppix 3.4.
I've succesfully installed Linuxant drivers (debian package) for the modem, the only problem is that at reboot the /dev/modem link disappears.
I was suggested to:
"The next time you reboot, it should suffice to only create the Ports
# mknod /dev/ttySHSF0
# ln -sf /dev/ttySHSF0 /dev/modem"
But this is a temporary solution, as the /dev/modem link disappears every time I boot....and I have to go through the procedure once again
At this point I guess the real problem is Knoppix and not the drivers...
Any suggestions on how to make the link persistent?
Regards
Artikid
Is only the link /dev/modem disappearing or is /dev/tty/SHSF0 being removed also?
/dev/modem is probably being removed by this section of the /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig script:

# Delete obsolete links and files before starting autoconfig
if ! checkbootparam "nohwsetup"; then
rm -f /dev/cdrom* /dev/cdwriter* /dev/mouse* /dev/modem* /dev/scanner* \
/etc/sysconfig/i18n /etc/sysconfig/keyboard /etc/sysconfig/knoppix \
2>/dev/null
fi

so the simplest solution would seem to be to edit the script to remove this deletion.
However, this MAY cause problems. I have done a similar 'fix' to prevent /dev/cdrom from being removed which seemed to work OK with 2.6 kernel but resulted in an additional /dev/cdrom being created each time the 2.4 kernel was run until I had about 10 of them.
I think what is needed is an additional startup script to run as the last boot script which checks for /dev/modem & creates one only if there is not one existing.
Also, /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig is only used for a knoppix or beginner style HD install, for a Debian install I'm not sure what the startup script is.