PDA

View Full Version : installing knoppix after XP/Win98 partitions - possible?

redss
10-10-2004, 04:40 PM
I have a 40 gig drive partitioned as follows:
1) XP (8 gigs) FAT32
2) Win98 (15 gigs) FAT32
3) linux swap
4) trying to install knoppix

Is it possible to install knoppix to my fourth (EXT2) partition? When I installed v3.4 with knoppix-installer and rebooting, lilo boots into knoppix but I got "Kernel PANIC. attempted to kill init"

I had chosen to install the boot record to the root partition (not MBR) in order to preserve winXP bootup, so I attempted to boot into my HD knoppix by booting off floppy.

Is it necessary to install knoppix to the first partition to get it to work? I wonder if a change to knoppix-installer would get it to work?

CrashedAgain
10-11-2004, 05:34 PM
I have a 40 gig drive partitioned as follows:
1) XP (8 gigs) FAT32
2) Win98 (15 gigs) FAT32
3) linux swap
4) trying to install knoppix

Is it possible to install knoppix to my fourth (EXT2) partition? When I installed v3.4 with knoppix-installer and rebooting, lilo boots into knoppix but I got "Kernel PANIC. attempted to kill init"

I had chosen to install the boot record to the root partition (not MBR) in order to preserve winXP bootup, so I attempted to boot into my HD knoppix by booting off floppy.

Is it necessary to install knoppix to the first partition to get it to work? I wonder if a change to knoppix-installer would get it to work?
Knoppix should work fine on ANY partition. I have installed to hda5, 6,7 and 8. I suspect your installation is OK but it is your boot floppy which is not working correctly. Check with the docs above &/or search this forum to find out how to dual boot with XP.