PDA

View Full Version : errors after installing limewire

helios17
10-10-2004, 05:52 PM
i was pumped to find that limewire installed with apt, however I encountered problems with the post install and I was hoping someone could help me decide what I can do about it. Limewire seems to be working ok, but at the end of every apt transaction I get the following complaints:

Setting up j2re1.4 (1.4.0.99beta-1) ...
update-alternatives: unable to make /usr/lib/mozilla-cvs/plugins/javaplugin_oji.so.dpkg-tmp a symlink to /etc/alternatives/javaplugin_oji-mozilla-cvs.so: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing j2re1.4 (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of limewire:
limewire depends on j2re1.4 | java2-runtime; however:
Package j2re1.4 is not configured yet.
Package java2-runtime is not installed.
Package j2re1.4 which provides java2-runtime is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing limewire (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
j2re1.4
limewire
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
root@helios:/home/helios#

it looks like apt is trying to take care of some unfinished business. I can make it go away by uninstalling limewire but I would really like to know how to fix the problem. this Linux install is worth it. btw: Knoppix 3.6 hd install

thanx

helios

Markus
10-10-2004, 06:21 PM
Try first with dpkg --configure -a or apt-get -f install

rusty
10-11-2004, 12:23 AM
My two cents: don't use apt to install Limewire or, for that matter java runtime. Go to the Sun website and download and install the runtime libraries, then download the Limewire tarball and install it manually.

http://www.java.com/en/download/linux_manual.jsp

http://www.limewire.com/english/content/downloadfree.shtml

helios17
10-11-2004, 10:31 PM
I think the native install is best. after posting this and before I got a chance to see your responses, I googled the problem again and found that java install with any package manager is problematic...(for definition of problematic, look under "yast".) how anyone ever sold that package manager is beyond me.

Most linux distros have issues with auto configuring jre. go figure. Anyway, am off to get my files and do the bash magic. you guys rock

helios