PDA

View Full Version : Macromedia Dreamweaver like application for Knoppix?

dr_rude
10-11-2004, 02:43 AM
Good day,

Is there any Dreaweaver like app for Knoopix? I know right now Macromedia work out to integrate their applications with linux, but i need the open source application just like the Dreamweaver do. :?

Can someone lead me to tis apps? I really appreciate any helps! :wink:

firebyrd10
10-11-2004, 03:42 AM
Good day,

Is there any Dreaweaver like app for Knoopix? I know right now Macromedia work out to integrate their applications with linux, but i need the open source application just like the Dreamweaver do. :?

Can someone lead me to tis apps? I really appreciate any helps! :wink:

I really doubt there is something with the power of dreamweaver for linux (I think that it is being made for linux though), you could always try running it in wine, I've gotten a surpriseing amount of programs working with it. Even complex ones.

MattT
10-11-2004, 04:28 AM
Linux currently has two WYSIWYG HTML editors: Quanta Plus (http://quanta.sourceforge.net/) (experimental version only) and Nvu (http://www.nvu.com/). Give them a try. They are no where near Dreamweaver but they are constantly improving.

dr_rude
10-11-2004, 06:48 AM
:) tq guys 4 d reply.

i'll try soon. i guess i wanna to try to wine dreaweaver first.

And then goes to Quanta Plus and Nvu. 8)

pstoddard
10-11-2004, 01:46 PM
OpenOffice.org also has a fairly good HTML editor that you can use.

scottknl
10-11-2004, 07:34 PM
My 2 favorite linux apps for development are also cross platform.

HTML kit http://www.chami.com/htmlkit is very much like dreamweaver with code highlighting, ftp of code to remote servers, help with html tags etc. You will have to run this one inside wine. But when I tried it, the speed was pretty good. They have instructions on the website on how to get it going in wine.

Netbeans http://www.netbeans.org is a general development environment for java that includes a full featured html/script editor. This one requires installation of sun's JDK.

Each of these has a windows equivalent too which works great when I work for clients on a windows platform.

Hope that helps.

dr_rude
10-12-2004, 04:26 AM
tq scottknl 4 d info! 8)

dr_rude
10-12-2004, 04:33 AM
and i wonder if there any linux distro specified for the web development. it would be nice. :)

ready with web development packages. although i just using knoppix for almost 3 month now, i personally claims that knoppix is best distro around.

sequitur
12-10-2004, 08:58 PM
Let's be clear on this. If you develop PHP websites you will find Quanta blows DW away and you will never go back. If you're looking for visual layout (we call it Visual Page Layout because WYSIWYG is a misnomer and ugly to type) and you're running a version of Knoppix that has you at KDE 3.1x you're probably not going to be too happy with it's first incarnation. If you're running a version with KDE 3.3x you will be fairly happy. The upcoming 3.4 will easily be comparable, but of course with better rendering. Version 4 will exceed the capability in visual design unless they get some new abilities fast.

If you're lookikng for compliant markup, XML DTD importing, on the fly structural validation, beyond DOM trees that facilitate PHP, four different classes of templates, multiple upload profiles, a scriptable editor with visual dialog builder, project event actions, integrated version control, team projects, a suite of plugin support applications, pluggable language support and a few dozen other features you should look at Quanta. BTW Wil Wheaton uses Quanta on Knoppix to develop his award winning site and recommends Linux to people because of these two projects.

To say that only good software exists on windows is just naive! I have a number of users would would pick Quanta over Dreamweaver if they were both free or both $500.
--
Eric Laffoon
kdewebdev project lead

probono
12-11-2004, 06:37 PM
Welcome sequitur on the Knoppix board! :) It's a great pleasure to see one of the greatest KDE developers here.

One feature I really like from Dreamweaver MX is that it can auto-create the PHP code for accessing MySQL databases, and for the most commonly used insert queries. You can even see the real MySQL database data (fetched from the server and put into the wysiwyg HTML you are editing) while you design your pages. That way, it's extremely easy to "point and click" PHP/MySQL database applications without having to write one line of code.

I don't know whether that's in Quanta yet, but I'd definitely love to see it. It's an extremely powerful time-saver.

Greetings,
probono