PDA

View Full Version : Where is .config for 2.6.7

algernon
10-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Hello,

I've been trying to recompile the kernel for 2.6.7. I couldn't find the .config for 2.6.7, so I tried using the one from 2.4.27. Unfortunately, there appear to be a lot of dead drivers between 2.4.27 and 2.6.7, and building modules keeps stopping with errors.

Then again, maybe I'm not using the right source. I'm using the kernel source from the Debian 'testing' directories.

Can someone please tell me where to get the .config for 2.6.7 and/or whether I've got the right source package.

Thanks!
== algernon

Markus
10-11-2004, 07:35 PM
You can either apt-get kernel-source-2.6.7 or get it from kernel.org. The config is either under /boot/ or /usr/src/. If you use the one from 2.4.x you should do "make oldconfig" before doing menuconfig so you can set all the options.

algernon
10-11-2004, 10:55 PM
Unfortunately, the only .config that I see is for the 2.4.27 version. There's a lot of changes, and I'm shooting in the dark trying to figure out what to do. So far the resulting kernel has refused to recognize my external mouse, lost all sound, and still not properly engaged the Cardbus on my laptop (which is what I'm trying to make happen).

Its frustrating, 'cause I know somewhere out there the 'real' .config is just sitting on a hard disk or CD.

== al

jjmac
10-11-2004, 11:29 PM
v2.6.7 ... buggy.
v2.6.8 ... disaster

Mortons "mm" patches, ... risky

v2.6.9-pre3 ... nice.

I'd go for v2.6.9-rc3 if i were you, as far as
the config goes, well, it is a bit drawn out to set
up, but "make gconfig" works well for me. Just go
over the settings carefully. It's curious, but by
the time a person gets to the other end of the
configuration stage, their likely to be tired...
so thats a good place for over looking things or
making other errors :). It's were the "mouse"
settings are too.

Have a rest, go over it a few times, it's not
that difficult really.

jm