PDA

View Full Version : What's your uptime?

bizarro
10-11-2004, 07:25 PM
I'll be running a Knoppix remaster as a server and wanted to see the long term effects of running a server from cd...

MTBF on HDD's is much higher than CD drives but that is with the CD constantly spinning...I want to see if anyone else has run knoppix as a server from cd for extended period of times and if there is anything I should watch out for...

So...list 'em...uptimes that is ;)

firebyrd10
10-12-2004, 01:55 AM
I'll be running a Knoppix remaster as a server and wanted to see the long term effects of running a server from cd...

MTBF on HDD's is much higher than CD drives but that is with the CD constantly spinning...I want to see if anyone else has run knoppix as a server from cd for extended period of times and if there is anything I should watch out for...

So...list 'em...uptimes that is ;)

I haven't been useing knoppix as a server, but I've been running seti@home on it for a good week. Only shut it down to boot to windows.

garyng
10-12-2004, 03:43 AM
I don't want to contribute to the green house effect if I don't have to so my machines up time is no more than a few hours.

I use the power saving feature of modern PCs and they go to sleep when not active for 10 minutes. However, if you mean times between reboot, it has been a few months since my last reboot.

bizarro
10-12-2004, 04:38 AM
well at work today i'm putting it to the test...

the remaster i've created will be able to reproduce itself upon requests...so far the cd holds up...it spins down when unused and spins up when used...besides the small delay the cd holds up...

i haven't created the cron job yet which checks every minute for a cd request but hopefully that will be done tomorrow...

then i'll be able to see if the cronjob will kick off the cd spinning up every minute...if not then GREAT...if it does then i'll have to find some other means ... maybe installing the os to the hdd...which i really really wanted to keep it all on the cd and use the entire hdd for the iso storage

btw, on the aioscript...i tested some of it today in my work environment and was pleased to find little if any bugs... :) ...next week i'll be visiting our deployment office where i'll test the cd with an array of different hardware...

the remaster is currently at 278mb with most the tools needed to reproduce itself and rescue windows clients...once released within my co. i'll take the time and post the steps i took and the scripts i've written on a website somewhere...dunno what i'll call it if anything...mainly its just a really tight remaster who's only function is to recreate itself and rescue windows pc's...most the magic was brought over from knoppix with the hardware recognition :)

PS - my current rcd distribution servers (3 of them) have an uptime of about 2.5 years each! :shock:

Cuddles
10-12-2004, 05:26 PM
I run my system like firebyrd10, I dont use it like a server, its more of a home, Personal Computer; I play DVD's, arcade and action games, some card games, email, web browsing, downloads from bulletins and cover art for our church, childrens bulletins for our church, I've done apt-get upgrades that run for days, dist-upgrade ( once ) that took almost 4 days to complete, and lastly, my system is up 24 x 7, only the monitor gets turned off when not in use ( yeah yeah, I know, our natural resources are getting seriously depleated by lil 'ol me, and the local electric company is probably looking for a nuclear power plant location just because of me, but, its my system, and the power bill is not "noticably" increased )

I have run for more than 18 days, and it would have been longer if I didnt do something stupid, and do that "dist-upgrade", and think that after it changed "everything", that a reboot was going to solve it all ( this comes from my days back in Windows ), which the reboot did not solve, and appeared to get me stuck in a "text only" boot, and made my KDE unstable...

Bizarro, that is sweat, 2.5 yrs :!: -=- I have to admit, that IS impressive ! ! !
For me, and running Windows, 18 days was impressive, for me, but with Linux, I think that even your uptime is accessable ( as long as I dont do something stupid, and mess my system up ). If you are really concerned with the CD-ROM, you can always copy the ISO over to the hard drive, and boot off the ISO on the hard drive. It will still have the limitations of the CD, and the protection of the CD, but, the speed and access times of a hard drive. ( just a thought )

RoyalMail
10-12-2004, 09:45 PM
I use the power saving feature of modern PCs and they go to sleep when not active for 10 minutes. However, if you mean times between reboot, it has been a few months since my last reboot.
Out of interest how did you get your machine to shut down the processor and fans? I can only get it to shut down the monitor, although the BIOS allows various stages of standby (S1,2,3). The settings available in the KDE Control Centre/Center are rather restrictive.

Regds, RM.

A. Jorge Garcia
10-13-2004, 01:37 AM
I have a server I setup at school for my students to do classwork on campus and homework off campus. I think its a Debian knx-hdinstall based on one of the first KNOPPIX 3.3's! I think I first fired it up on 9/1/2002, so that's over 2 years too.

Regards,
AJG

garyng
10-13-2004, 02:12 AM
Out of interest how did you get your machine to shut down the processor and fans? I can only get it to shut down the monitor, although the BIOS allows various stages of standby (S1,2,3). The settings available in the KDE Control Centre/Center are rather restrictive.

Regds, RM.

That is why I used colinux on XP. XP's power management is miles ahead of linux. However, I believe it is possible to change the machine to standby in linux too but you may need to poke into some /proc/ parameters. That is the ACPI thing. The standard KDE control I saw only mentioned about monitor which is a display driver thing. You may need to search about ACPI and linux, though it was very rough last time I checked. May have improved a bit now as that is supported by some Intel staff.

With XP, I have the machine goes to sleep mode which according to the materials I read consume less than 5w and it would be kicked up by any ip access to it and the timing is very acceptable(may be within 2 seconds).

firebyrd10
10-13-2004, 02:24 AM

Regds, RM.

That is why I used colinux on XP. XP's power management is miles ahead of linux. However, I believe it is possible to change the machine to standby in linux too but you may need to poke into some /proc/ parameters. That is the ACPI thing. The standard KDE control I saw only mentioned about monitor which is a display driver thing. You may need to search about ACPI and linux, though it was very rough last time I checked. May have improved a bit now as that is supported by some Intel staff.

With XP, I have the machine goes to sleep mode which according to the materials I read consume less than 5w and it would be kicked up by any ip access to it and the timing is very acceptable(may be within 2 seconds).

From what I saw with acpi when recompiling my kernel was that pressing the power button only sends some info to /proc/ Nothing else, of course you could set up a program that read the data and acted accordingly

bizarro
10-13-2004, 03:39 AM
i'm actually asking for uptimes on a server setup running knoppix cd...but so far so good...i went into work today and got right to work...2 days and so far so good...

i didn't have a chance to setup the cron job so i don't know if it'll spin up every minute yet...maybe tomorrow...

this is what the server will be performing in a nutshell...

its a rescue cd server...a website on another server has been setup for our techs to log in and request a cd...the request consists of the techs username, password and other small info along with the request date...that file is then ftp'ed over to the knoppix server i'm setting up...a cron job is setup to check the dir where that file drops and in order of arrival the knoppix server then begins extracting the info inside that file and building a personalized rescue cd for that tech with username, password and customized windows rescueing scripts...

the cd expires every 6 months by querying our time server on the network and file creation date on the cd itself...the root password changes each month which that account doesn't expire for 1 year...this is my back door just in case of dire emergencies

so basically the server will have crond, postfix, proftpd, ssh and ntpd running...although no cron jobs have been setup yet all those services are running and the cd spins down and just runs fine...until i come in and start working on it or a cd request comes in...

i'm still tuning it and configuring it and customizing it...hopefully in the end i'll have a fully functional knoppix remaster server running ;)

i'll post more info when the project is completely done...thatll be in a few months or weeks...