PDA

View Full Version : KDE problems after HDD install

dragonlord
10-11-2004, 09:53 PM
Hello

Iīm totally new to Linux, been reading some and Iīm beginning to understand how it works and learning some commands... Anyway, I got hold of Knoppix 3.7 PC Welt-version and running it from CD is not a problem, everything works fine so I installed it to my HDD.
Everything worked fine until I typed "INIT 5" to go to runmode 5 and start X-Server (itīs what itīs called right?). Everything turned black, the HDD loaded for a while but nothing showed up. So I pressed CTRL-ALT-F1 and got a command prompt. I hope you want to correct whatever naming errors I make, Iīm new and I want to learn... :)
After some playing around I got the X-server started and got visuals! But thereīs one HUGE problem, everything is german, every word, menu and so on is german.

I used the command 'Linux nodma noddc lang=us' to boot and in runmode 2 everything is in english...

I hope you see my problem and I sure hope someone can help me cause - no offence to anyone but - I donīt want to run Knoppix in german... :)

Thanks!

CrashedAgain
10-12-2004, 05:22 AM
Hello

Iīm totally new to Linux, been reading some and Iīm beginning to understand how it works and learning some commands... Anyway, I got hold of Knoppix 3.7 PC Welt-version and running it from CD is not a problem, everything works fine so I installed it to my HDD.
Everything worked fine until I typed "INIT 5" to go to runmode 5 and start X-Server (itīs what itīs called right?). Everything turned black, the HDD loaded for a while but nothing showed up. So I pressed CTRL-ALT-F1 and got a command prompt. I hope you want to correct whatever naming errors I make, Iīm new and I want to learn... :)
After some playing around I got the X-server started and got visuals! But thereīs one HUGE problem, everything is german, every word, menu and so on is german.

I used the command 'Linux nodma noddc lang=us' to boot and in runmode 2 everything is in english...

I hope you see my problem and I sure hope someone can help me cause - no offence to anyone but - I donīt want to run Knoppix in german... :)

Thanks!

Don't use init 5 to start x from console, that will reinitialize the system & the default is german. Use startx instead.
I assume the playing around ' you did was to get your video setup so X will run OK & I assume you've got that sorted out.
If you are booting into console mode & want to boot directly into KDE, boot up (don't start x yet) type su to become root then open /etc/lilo.conf in a text editor (I use 'joe', command joe /etc/lilo.conf but there are others such as nano). Scan through lilo.conf looking for the line 'append=' which is usually followed by a long list of options. Look for 'knoppix2' and remove it if it is there, that is what is causing you to boot into console mode instead of KDE. Make sure lang=us is present in this list & you should boot directly into KDE in english.
Once you are up & running, from a root console type 'dselect update' to up date your sources list then 'apt-get install localepurge' & use it to remove all alternative languages except the ones you want. Use KDE Control Center to disable alternative keyboards & you should have an english only system. You can also do apt-get remove kde-i18n* to remove over 100 meg of unneeded extra language support files.