PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Package Requirements

Dacicus
10-12-2004, 05:01 AM
I'm interested in burning a Knoppix live CD to use for one or two programs (for now). Because I will probably want to get more programs later, however, I want to have some room left on the CD after initially putting Knoppix on it. This means that I do not want to download and burn all the software that currently comes on the iso image. Along those lines, I have two questions:

1. Is what I want to do possible?
2. If it is, what are the essential packages that I should look into downloading in order to get Knoppix to work correctly?

More information: My current OS is Windows XP with the NTFS file system. I don't want to install Knoppix on the HD; I want to run it off of the CD.

Thanks for any help.

metavoid
10-12-2004, 08:58 AM
1) YES. It is possible to modify what progams that are on the live cd.
Look up remastering in the docs here on this site.
Its a bit of work.

Why not just create a home folder for knoppix and install those extra programs there?

2)
I cant tell what the essential packages are as that depends on what programs you need.
But you can remaster a 3.6 and just remove the office packages and there should be room for your programs.

Tips:
Since remastering needs a free partition, I suggest you download Virtual PC trial from MS and use its virtual hd for the remastering.