PDA

View Full Version : The sound card is detected, but no sound.

rahoo
10-12-2004, 01:03 PM
I have this sound card: Integrated audio driver for Intel desktop board D865PERL using AC '97 processing with the Analog Devices (ADI) AD1885, AD1980, AD1981A or AD1981B codecs.

In Knoppix, this sound card is detected like i810_audio. But in spite of that, there isn't sound.

Stas
10-12-2004, 02:29 PM
hi,

i had problems with my audigy 2 too, but it was in the 2.4 kenrel only, try to boot in 2.6, it helped me..

u running from cd ?
if u do so write at Boot: knoppix26
& now u will have your knoppix with kenrel 2.6 runing, but im not sure what version u got..

rahoo
10-12-2004, 04:05 PM
I have tried with both versions of kernel (2.4 and 2.6) and I use Knoppix version 3.6. In spite of this, the sound keeps on without working.

shah
10-13-2004, 03:17 AM
Is KMix can detect your sound card?

kelmo
10-13-2004, 06:13 AM
Have you tried alsa?

rahoo
10-14-2004, 03:57 AM
KMix:
There isn't any mixer to select.

Alsa:
Settings > Control Center > Sound & Multimedia > Sound System

If I select "Autodetect" in the option "Select the audio device", I get this error:
"Error while initializing the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such device)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device."

If "Advanced Linux Sound Architecture" is selected, I get this error:
"Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: default can't be opened for playback (No such file or directory)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device."

rahoo
10-14-2004, 05:23 AM
I saw this in bug section:

25. ...

26. Alsa cheatcode doesn't work with knoppix3.6. I mean i've tried all kinds of tricks onder my ampit. Even ordnary install(kernel 2.4) is also not giving sound. I have intel AC97 i810 onboard soundcard. What it does is that it makes KMix look emty with exception of microphone sign, which means one has no means of sound volume controls to see if sound is muted.All these are for kernel 2.6.7.when only "alsa" is used i noticed that after "autoconfiguration", it 'starts building modules for alsa', there it stops.After boot completes one gets this "unable to start sound i/o'. When 'alsa=es1938' is used,it builds all the necessary modules and whatever unlike just "alsa". yet one gets the same KMix emptiness and the 'no sound error'.On the other hand kernel 2.4 shows KMix volume controls yet also no sound. Meanwhile knoppix3.4 did not give such headaches. It even recognizes AC97 on KMix.(Francis,NL.) (all this is also true for me - markb)

27. ...

pvdvyve
10-24-2004, 09:09 PM
I also have an intel AC97 i810 onboard soundcard on my brand new Dell Dimension4600. With my other pc's there wasn't a problem, but now? It must be possible, though, I'm running Suse9.1 on it and sound isn't a problem at all, so. I guess we must load another module for the sound, but I'm not Linux aware enough to find that easy...If I find out, I'll put a hint on this forum...
Keep the good work rollin'

kyrnado
10-24-2004, 10:27 PM
i also have this problem :(

Quikke
10-26-2004, 01:22 PM
Hey I'm new to Linux and am using KNoppix
But i'm having trouble installing my soundcard

info:

00:0f.0 Multimedia audio controller: Avance Logic Inc. ALS4000 Audio Chipset
Subsystem: Avance Logic Inc. ALS4000 Audio Chipset
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 5
I/O ports at d400 [size=128]
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

If anyone would know where to get the right drivers and how to install them. Help is welcome
:roll:

pvdvyve
10-26-2004, 09:55 PM
>Multimedia audio controller: Avance Logic Inc. ALS4000 Audio Chipset
>Subsystem: Avance Logic Inc. ALS4000 Audio Chipset
For this soundcard you have to find this file:
oss397g-linux-v2x.tar.gz
on this website:
www.opensound.com
Get it installed and you can run your soundcard a limited time.
The commercial driver for your sound card exists too, but it costs more than your hardware!!
Not really what we think for Linux software.
Give it a try and let us know...
Greetings from Belgium - Europe.

ewangr
10-27-2004, 02:21 AM
I'm also having this problem. In my case I assumed it was the fact that Knoppix appeared to be recognizing the card as a AZT1008 when it's actually an AZT2320 (Aztech). I can modprobe snd-azt2320 which seems to then bring up the rest of the files, but still no sound.

This is running both the 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.

Any ideas?

ewangr
10-27-2004, 02:40 AM
For anyone else watching this thread, it appears that if you do an HDInstall, and didn't use "knoppix alsa" when you booted up initially, then the install doesn't see your soundcard and doesn't prep your system correctly.

Running the following:

$su
#cd /etc/init.d
#./alsa-autoconfig

gets everything to load, and you should see that all of the snd modules got loaded by typing lsmod.

You then should run KMix or the equivalent as your sound is set to 0 by default...

Got this info from the other ALSA thread, and figured I should pass it along!

Quikke
10-27-2004, 03:00 AM
Tnx for the help pvdvyve
I'll give it a try

Greetings
Belgium-Europe

CrashedAgain
10-30-2004, 03:02 AM
Knoppix was incorrectly identifying my i810 sound card as a AC97 when using alsa cheatcode. Without the cheatcode (using 2.6 kernel) it correctly identified the card & I have sound.
It should not be necessary to use the alsa cheatcode with the 2.6 kernel, alsa has replaced OSS as the default sound system staring with the 2.6 kernel.

pvdvyve
11-01-2004, 06:50 PM
Hi, again...still no sound
the system sound card:
an intel AC97 i810 onboard soundcard on my brand new Dell Dimension4600
booting kernel 2.4
sudo
modprobe i810_audio
modprobe snd-intel8x0
tried test sound in kde:
***NO SUCCESS***
insmod snd-intel8x0
gave a lot of errors: no such file or directory
booting kernel 2.6, without any other cheatcodes
sudo
modprobe i810_audio
modprobe snd-intel8x0
tried test sound in kde:
***NO SUCCESS***
booting with cheatcodes:
knoppix26 alsa=snd-intel8x0
***NO SUCCESS***
So, have to try something else...
So at the moment: learning more on Suse 9.1
:twisted:

kgndb
11-08-2004, 07:24 AM
I had the same problem with Knoppix3.6. If I type knoppix26 at the boot prompt the i810_audio driver seems to be installed but sound doesn't work. When I add alsa=intel8x0 to the boot command the sound works.

pvdvyve
11-08-2004, 07:10 PM
I had the same problem with Knoppix3.6. If I type knoppix26 at the boot prompt the i810_audio driver seems to be installed but sound doesn't work. When I add alsa=intel8x0 to the boot command the sound works.
Hi, there, this solved my problem.
I booted Knoppix, pressed F3
gave the command:
knoppix26 alsa=intel8x0
and there it was: I had sound.
Have to try this with DamnSmallLinux
Thanks people... :idea:
Remember: the system sound card:
an intel AC97 i810 onboard soundcard on my brand new Dell Dimension4600 was the problem...
Annex: just tried with kernel 2.4
knoppix alsa=intel8x0
And here too the sound just works fine...
Nice thing, nice...

stoffel_nl
11-10-2004, 10:32 AM
Hello The last post alsa-intel8x0 endly works on my Pc. I use knoppix 3.6 image on my hd. I have a P4p8x motherboard and has searched more than 3 month to get sound working. Several solutins tried. Thanks a lot. :lol:

CrashedAgain
11-11-2004, 03:09 AM
Since it looks like the solution to this problem is the correct cheatcod, to add a cheatcode to a HD install edit /etc/lilo.conf. Cheatcodes are in the 'append=' line.

ewangr
11-11-2004, 03:58 PM
What worked for me was the following:

edited the file "/etc/modules-2.6.9" (depends on the kernel you are using)
and added

snd-az2302

to the end of the file.

Then edited the file "/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh"
and added

/etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig

right before the "dma" section near the end of the file.

FWIW,
Ewan

davea0511
07-22-2005, 05:35 AM
What worked for me was the following:

edited the file "/etc/modules-2.6.9" (depends on the kernel you are using)
and added

snd-az2302

to the end of the file.

Then edited the file "/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh"
and added

/etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig

right before the "dma" section near the end of the file.

FWIW,
Ewan
Where did you get "snd-az2302"? Alsa-project.org mentioned I should have a file called "snd-intel8x0", but all I can find is a file called "snd-intel8x0.o". Does this mean I have to do some compiling (I'm not a programmer, and a newbie to linux).

davea0511
07-22-2005, 09:36 AM
FYI... if you start the live CD with alsa=[whatever] and then you do a knoppix-installer then whatever boot codes you supplied will be part of the Hard Drive installation. It puts it right there in the lilo.conf file for you, and anywhere else you'll need it.

That goes for all boot codes.