PDA

View Full Version : What language is this?

raid517
03-25-2003, 11:44 PM
Hi I have a weird problem, for some reason I klicked on a wrong icon and now all of my root directory// applications and files are arranged in a language I don't understand. I have no idea what this language is and would very much like to reset it to English GB.

Also the live CD was spectacular, it detected all my hardware and set it up without any difficulty. But the problem is that now it won't auto mount my CD drives and my hardrives as the CD did. Further when I mount my DVD-r drive, or my CD Writer drive, I can only mount one CD drive at a time as there doesn't appear to be a device listing in /dev for a second CD rom drive. Is there any way to get it to add an entry to /dev that will allow both my CDRW drive and my DVD-R drive to be mounted at the same time?

Further, the CD version of knoppix doesn't appear to allow me to save anything I download or try to move from one directory to another (Ihave 460GB divided up over several partitions, one of which is a 30 GB fat32 partition set up to enable exchanging files with an NTFS drive). Do I need to be a super user, or root to move files accross directories and if so what is the su password?

Additionally Open Office appears to be the German version, which once more is not very helpful/useful to me. Is there a way I can change this? The spell checkers in all the office applications seem to be in another language too, even in ordinary accounts which I haven't converted accidentally to whatever langage I selected.

Lastly I am very interested to learn about aptget - and how to use it to get specific pagages. Say for example I wanted the latest version of Xine? What is the command for starting aptget and how would I write the command to aquire it? Do I need to give the version name and version number of the application I'm interested in?

All in all Knoppix rocks. But I wish it was able to set up my hardware and automount all my drives etc in the same way the CD version does. There ought to also be better support for HDD installs, with as people who try the Cd version will undoubtedly want to give the real thing a go. :) Also I wish there was better international support as it is too centred on German and east European users. Apart from that, its great! :)

Q

rickenbacherus
03-26-2003, 01:22 AM
If you search these forums you'll find answers to all of your questions. They are quite common.

raid517
03-26-2003, 03:31 AM
Dude thanks, I did search the forums before posting, but either the answers I found to these questions were non specific, or when I tried them they didn't work.,

Anyway all I was hoping for was a few friendly pointers... I know what the search button is for, but unfortunately it hasn't proved all that helpful.

Q

raid517
03-26-2003, 03:34 AM
My biggest headache right now is how do Irevert my root account back to english - and how do I make UK english my system wide setting? If I can fix this at least it would be a start...

Q

rickenbacherus
03-26-2003, 04:00 AM
Hi I have a weird problem, for some reason I klicked on a wrong icon and now all of my root directory// applications and files are arranged in a language I don't understand. I have no idea what this language is and would very much like to reset it to English GB.

In my following explaination I am not attempting to being an ass, I simply do not know how much of your desktop is in a foreign language. I have managed to change mine to Czechoslovokian (sp?) twice.

**There is a language button in a very obscure place and perhaps it will fix this problem.**

Open the Control center(On taskbar w/ monitor icon)>

maximize the window-look in left hand column
System(on my system next to last expandable menu)>LoginManager(look closely- it's 3D- two people standing)>

Now focus to lower right hand of entire window

Administrator Mode(button on lower right corner of full screen)>enter your password>

long low/center button>find en_us

rickenbacherus
03-26-2003, 04:08 AM
DOH! - don't forget to hit Apply. (it should remind you).

raid517
03-26-2003, 04:10 AM
I'll have a look at that... But as its in another language I don't know if i will find it. Also I want a sytem wide UK english setting, the US english setting causes to many problems with my keyboard etc...

Your assistance is very welcome. :)

Q

raid517
03-26-2003, 04:14 AM
I'll give it a few more days... If I can't figure it out by then I'll go back to playing with Gentoo.... Its not as easy to set up, but portage kicks some serious butt and is every bit as powerful (if not more so) than aptget.

Mind you knoppix is Debian - and that's certainly always a good thing...

Q

rickenbacherus
03-26-2003, 05:29 AM
Unless the layout changes I gave step by step instructions. Boot the CD, have a look while it's in English and learn your way around the control center And if you want UK lang then choose it instead.

RockMumbles
03-26-2003, 06:49 AM
raid517,

As far as your KDE control center problem, I have three versions of KDE and the control center is slightly different in all three, so richenbacherus' idea of booting up your cd and looking at the layout is probably the best idea.

As far as apt-get and dpkg, the commands I use are:

apt-get update #to update the package list using the deb URI's in /etc/apt/sources.list

apt-get upgrade #to upgrade installed packages

apt-get dist-upgrade #to upgrade installed packages and libraries with a version change

apt-cache search #usually used piped to grep ex:
apt-cache search | grep packagename #if you used xfonts for the packagename it would list all packages with xfonts in name or description

apt-get install packagename #install package name (use name from apt-cache output not filename downloaded ex: mozilla not mozilla-1.2.1-0woody1-i386.deb)

apt-get -t testing install packagename #install package from testing depository (or -t stable or -t unstable) used if you have stable, testing, and unstable sources listed (also look into apt-pinning)

apt-get remove packagename ...

dpkg --force-overwrite -i packagename #install package using dpkg when apt-get fails because of dependency errors because a file is listed in more than one package (such as going from kde3.0 to 3.1) Note: using this you have to specify the filename and either be in the directory where the file is or use full path, apt-get save downloaded files in /var/cache/apt/archives.

dpkg --configure -a #will make sure all packages are configured after installation

dpkg -l #will list all installed packages, usually piped to grep if you are looking for a specific package, note packagenames are truncated by default so you may not see the entire packagename

NOTE:
if you get stuck in an apt-get dist-upgrade problem, ie. apt-get dist-upgrade errors out, you will then have to use dpkg --force-overwrite on the packages that are causing problems, once they are installed you then have to go back and run apt-get dist-upgrade again, if it errors out again use dpkg --force-overwrite on the packages that are causing problems, then run apt-get dist-upgrade, repeat cycle until finished. This is NOT needed much, mainly for things like KDE, maybe gnome, etc., multiple package stuff, where a file was in one package in a previous release and now has been moved to a different package in the new release or two different packages contain the same file.

HTH

rock

rickenbacherus
03-26-2003, 06:51 AM
Nice post Rock - I'm keepin' that one.