PDA

View Full Version : Lilo doesn't install.

raid517
03-25-2003, 11:50 PM
Hi, well the title of my post says it all really. I would like lilo to install, but when the install process completes and it says lilo has been installed... Well quite simply, it hasn't. The only way to start knoppix is with a boot floppy.

Also I am seriously missing a hardware configuration utility like Mandrake's 'hardrake', is there a debian equivalent of this I could use?

Q

aay
03-26-2003, 12:25 AM
What version of Knoppix are you using? There were a few versions of knx-hdinstall where lilo config was broken. I'm sure it works on the 1-20 release. I suspect that it hasn't changed on the lastest slew of releases.

raid517
03-26-2003, 12:28 AM
I'm using 3.2... Isn't there some way to instal/configure lilo via the command line?

Q

RockMumbles
03-26-2003, 01:21 AM
Are you familiar with linux command line stuff?

or have you just used linux graphical frontends?

with knoppix you'll need to do some manual configuration, ie. editing as root

Give us some info about your system so we can help you get it going

rock

raid517
03-26-2003, 02:30 AM
So long as the instructions are clear I dont have a problem with the command line. :)

I'm not certain if it significant - although I guess if I were using SSCI or something it might be, but in any case here is my configuration:

Asus A7M 266-D motherboard
1024 MB DDR PC2100
Dual 2x Athlon XP 2600 CPUs,
460 GB HDD (4 x120 with 1 external USB 2)
Pioneer DVD-R 104
Radeon 9700 pro
Lite on 48 x 12x48
Audigy Sound card

And erm... probably some other stuff II've forgotten about.

I am not using raid on this system - though some people have said I should, although as I understand it all your HDD have to be the same brand, which mine are not. Maybe this could be useful if you can spot anything that might not work with Knoppix, although the LiveCD version just about detected and set up everything perfectly. (Its a pity the HDD install isn't so impressive in the way it sets up one's hardware).

Q