PDA

View Full Version : DSL on or off?

Wonko
10-13-2004, 02:38 PM
Hiho,

after HD-installing knoppix on my girlfriends pc and hoping she'd like it for losing all that worms, viruses and stuff like that I configured the dsl account. visudo for pon and poff.. everything working perfectly.

BUT since she doesn't have a flatrate it would be really nice to see if she was online or not. Just like in windows kind of a button on the task bar.

Anyone an idea?

Thanks a lot and greetings from Hamburg,

Wonko.

args: another thing just for fun: why does the pon command linked to a kde-button cause the mousepointer to go in "wait-mode" so long? Like a program that hangs. But if enable the "execute in shell" button the "pon shell" pops ups, starts pon and exits wihtout any waiting-mous-pointer..? Strange to me but surely not to all of you .. ;)

user unknown
10-16-2004, 12:03 AM
pppstatus -d 10
makes a screenfull inetconnection monitor on tty10 (Alt-F10 on the CLI, Ctrl-alt-F10 in X11-mode; get back to X11 with Alt-F7).

For X11, a tool like allin1 might be better suited.

shah
10-16-2004, 12:42 AM
Use knemo, very nice utility that resides in taskbar.

http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=12956

or you could just : apt-get install knemo

:D :D

Wonko
10-18-2004, 10:00 AM
hey.. thanks.. i'll try them.. :)

Wonko.

Nic MFP
10-18-2004, 10:47 PM
On the same topic: I am experiencing a strange behavior. I am running Knoppix 3.6, and I configured correctly my ADSL connection via the apposite tool. This, at the end of the process, firstly asks me if I want to start automatically the connection every time the computers starts (and I obviously say it yes), then it informs me that to start the connection I have to type "pon dsl-provider" and "poff" to drop it.

Well... unfortunately when my computer starts, the ADSL connection does not bring up, neither issuing the pon command takes effect. The only way to start the connection is to reconfigure again the ADSL...

What am I doing wrong?