PDA

View Full Version : custom kernel / ash-knoppix

jtally
03-26-2003, 12:05 AM
I am trying to make a version of knoppix with a custom kernel. I am following the Knoppix Custom Kernel HowTo. I recompiled cloop.o but did not at frist recompile ash-knoppix (the howto said I might have to) but when I try to boot I get this error

Uncmpressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
Kmod : failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2
Kernel panic : No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

I am assuming this is because I did not recompile ash-knoppix (because it is statically linked with modprobe and init, or something like that) but I am unable to find information on how to compile ash-knoppix_0.2-3. just doing a make in my chrooted environment or not gives me this error (last ten lines of output)

modutils-2.4.15/insmod/insmod.c:1984: `m_addr' undeclared (first use in this function)
modutils-2.4.15/insmod/insmod.c:2022: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
modutils-2.4.15/insmod/insmod.c:2024: field `m' has incomplete type
modutils-2.4.15/insmod/insmod.c:2029: sizeof applied to an incomplete type
modutils-2.4.15/insmod/insmod.c:2046: warning: passing arg 1 of `add_archdata' from incompatible pointer type
modutils-2.4.15/insmod/insmod.c:2046: warning: passing arg 2 of `add_archdata' from incompatible pointer type
modutils-2.4.15/insmod/insmod.c:2050: warning: passing arg 1 of `add_kallsyms' from incompatible pointer type
modutils-2.4.15/insmod/insmod.c:2050: warning: passing arg 2 of `add_kallsyms' from incompatible pointer type
modutils-2.4.15/insmod/insmod.c:2059: warning: passing arg 2 of `init_module' from incompatible pointer type
make: *** [modutils-2.4.15/insmod/insmod.o] Error 1

I used the .config file that was in the /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-xfs folder ond took out two modules that I was having trouble compileing (DRI support for i830 chipset and Fusion MPT something or other support) as well as not having the xfs patch applied. I also removed the scsi modules from the miniroot and modified the linuxrc accordingly. To make sure that it wasn't because of that I used the original miniroot but had the same problem.

Any wisdom you could share on my situation would be mutch apreciated.

jtally
03-28-2003, 05:15 PM
I've tried using "knoppix init=/static/ash" and "knoppix init=/static/init" but I still have the same problem.