PDA

View Full Version : Does the hdd install retain the hw autoconfig capability?

ottod
10-13-2004, 07:44 PM
Can someone tell me if a "real" hdd install of Knoppix (not the poor man install) keeps the hw autoconfig capability or it just transfers the detected configuration at the moment of installation?
I am asking this because it would be very helpful to configure hard disks with server software and have them in stock whenever I sell an application. Then I just buy a new little server and install the preconfigured knoppix hard disk in it, just having to fine tune little things like the network cards, the video mode, etc.

Markus
10-13-2004, 08:04 PM
A Knoppix style install works just like the CD, so perhaps a Beginner style install would be more suitable, they both have hw-autodetection whereas a Debian style install doesn't.
All here: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixInstaller

Steve F
10-14-2004, 03:45 AM
The beginner may not have it either. I have only ever installed beginner type. I changed monitors from an older Dell to a new ViewSonic. All I got was a blank screen. The monitor wouldn't sync. I booted from the CD and the ViewSonic worked fine (better than the Dell). I had to reinstall to the HD and then everything was fine. So, I think the H/W detect only occurs from a Knoppix install or the CD. Debian and beginner seem to be fixed on the H/W that existed at the time of install.

mzilikazi
10-14-2004, 04:09 AM
I changed monitors from an older Dell to a new ViewSonic. All I got was a blank screen. The monitor wouldn't sync. I booted from the CD and the ViewSonic worked fine (better than the Dell). I had to reinstall to the HD and then everything was fine. .

I realize it's a bit late but.......all you had to do was boot Knoppix and copy /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to your hdd installation. ;) Well.....next time....