PDA

View Full Version : DHCP

syco
10-13-2004, 11:10 PM
It will not pull an ip address from the dhcp server and i even did that network thing were it broadcast for a dhcp server?
i am using the built in dhcp that comes with my router. Red Hat and windows gets an ip but i can't get one for knoppix.
Can someone please help me?
also i did check the FAQ.

Harry Kuhman
10-13-2004, 11:23 PM
It will not pull an ip address from the dhcp server and i even did that network thing were it broadcast for a dhcp server?
i am using the built in dhcp that comes with my router. Red Hat and windows gets an ip but i can't get one for knoppix.
Can someone please help me?
More info needed. Can you manually set an IP address (netcardconfig) and then ping the router? From what little information you give this might be a DHCP issue, but it might be an issue of problems with the NIC (I've posted a couple of other threads here about NICs that did work just fine with Knoppix, but stopped working after running a Windows "secirity update".)

If you can ping the router, what brand is it? I've had Knoppix work just fine with DHCP and several brands of routers (Linksys, SMC, dLink and Netgear), but I've seen problems with a Belkin, which just doesn't seem to do DHCP quite right.

syco
10-13-2004, 11:37 PM
The DHCP router works fine i pull an ip off this computer using redhat or win 2k.

Also i have the linksys nr041 router

i am typing this message on the computer

syco
10-13-2004, 11:52 PM
when i set a static ip i can't ping nothing.
also i am using the pc right NOW to type this message so nic works.

Harry Kuhman
10-13-2004, 11:58 PM
The DHCP router works fine....
Ok, you at least don't have a Belkin. But be aware that just because some OS's can get a DHCP setup does not prove that it's not a router issue; Win98 and WinXP could get a setup from my Belkin, but Knoppix can not. It's all a matter of how close the device follows the spec. While I have used a Linksys with sucess, it's not the same device you have; perhaps someone else can confirm the device you have works for them. So if you're sure the router is OK, what's the answer to the first question; can you force an IP address with netcardconfig and then ping the router under Knoppix?

syco
10-14-2004, 12:03 AM
i did put a static ip in and it did not work. the router works with red hat and windows

I have red hat and windows installed on this pc.

this is the router i have
http://www.networkeverywhere.com/products/nr041.asp

Hug It
10-14-2004, 12:28 AM
This sounds more like a NIC driver issue than your router issue. If it doesn't work with your IP manually set somethings up. What type of NIC do you have? It isn't a Broadcom Netxtreme by any chance is it?

syco
10-14-2004, 12:37 AM
it is a Realtek RTL81139(A)

Harry Kuhman
10-14-2004, 12:42 AM
i did put a static ip in and it did not work. the router works with red hat and windows

Yea, I get that the router works with some systems, but until you know why it and Knoppix are failing that proves nothing. More importantly, since you can't seem to ping the router, why do you think it's a dhcp issue at all? If the network card can't talk to the router then it certainly isn't going to do a dhcp handshake. You say that you put in a static ip and 'it did not work'. But it's hardly clear what is not working. I'm guessing from what you said that netcardconfig did work (no errors when you did a manual configuration), but that you still couldn't ping the router. But that does seem strange. Alternately, it could be that the netcardconfig gave an error, in which case you might want to look at these two threads:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2117&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
and
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2164&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Are there other computers on your network? Can you ping them from Knoppix? Can they ping the router? Can they ping the IP address you assign manually to Knoppix with netcardconfig?

You might want to use a product like ethereal to sniff the wire to see what is happening. As I said, this sounds very strange. As long as you get the NIC working, DHCP on any decent router should work just fine. I've had no DHCP problems with Knoppix since version 3.1 once I got rid of the Belkin.
[/i]

Harry Kuhman
10-14-2004, 03:59 AM
Also i have the linksys nr041 router

this is the router i have
http://www.networkeverywhere.com/products/nr041.asp

Unless I'm missing something, that ain't a Linksys router.
Could well have problems similar to the ones that the Belkin I have has.
Still, I wonder if Knoppix is even using the card. You might want to try the cheat codes (found in the threads I gave you):

knoppix noscsi acpi=off