PDA

View Full Version : starting DHCP server in Knoppix

tweaked
10-14-2004, 12:48 AM
I can't do it. A buddy that knows linux better than I do can't do it either.
Help.
We have to have a DHCP server running by 1:00 pm tommorow.

shah
10-14-2004, 01:00 AM
The easiest way/gui:
1) Use guidedog
Download guidedog: apt-get install guidedog
Then run it and set it.

2) Use firestarter
apt-get install firestarter
This one actually firewall with nat enable.

:D :D :D

Durand Hicks
10-14-2004, 03:30 AM
What DNS server software are you using?
What OS are you running?
Are you running from cd or hard drive?
How was the DNS server set up?

Post details of what you have done and your computer's hardware/software configuration. We can't give you the help you seek without details to work off of. Since I don't have the details of your particular configuration, here's a link with some info on how to set up your dns server:http://support.open-rsc.org/unix/.

HTH,

Durand

tweaked
10-14-2004, 05:10 AM
this is a temp thing. I am installing an Avaya IP telephone system. This is a move/ new user office. the phone system and most of the network won't be there until Friday. We need the IP phones to come up and download the new versions of the software they run. this takes a few hours for 250 phones. So I want to use my laptop as a DHCP server, then another for the TFTP server that will have the current version of the IP phone software and updates.
The laptops are both IBM T22's. The other is an XP machine for the tftp server. with the IP 10.88.119.249. I edited the dhcpd.conf file like this.

ddns-update-style none;
option avaya code 176 = text;
authoritative;
subnet 10.88.119.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
range 10.88.119.12 10.88.119.245;
option routers 10.88.119.1;
option avaya "TFTPSRVR=10.88.119.249";
}

once I started the dhcp server and it failed. I started it again and it seemed to work but none of the computers (for testing) got an ip.
Thanks for the posts and help

Durand Hicks
10-14-2004, 04:25 PM
Oops, I misread dhcp as dns, my bad. I haven't played with setting up a dhcp server in linux, so I can't help you with that. But it sounds like a configuration issue from what you describe. Is the laptop the only dhcp server on your network, and if you have a router, you would need to disable the dhcp server on the router so you don't get conflicts. Also, if you have a firewall of any sort running on the laptop, you need to open a hole for dhcp packets to pass thru both ways in the firewall configuration, I forget what ports dhcp uses, possibly 69?

tweaked
10-14-2004, 05:27 PM
It is a Cisco 2600 router. there is no other DHCP server on this network.
Luckily we have gotten a break on the time. It dosen't have to be up by 1:00 so I have some time to play with it.
Just to make you guys jealous, we have four external network connections. the one we are using right now can up and down at 4 megabites. that is no a misprint.