PDA

View Full Version : MPPE needed for PPTP VPN CLIENT=>imposes kernel rebuild ?

ktheking
03-26-2003, 01:08 AM
Has anybody :
Or already an ISO with a recompiled kernel with MPPE ?
Or a way to install PPTP VPN without having to rebuild kernel ?

This is to reach the LAN remotely by VPN tunneling.
The plan is to use the existing citrix server sessions which are running
on windows servers and are intended for windows apps (outlook,word,...)
This makes it possible to remotely (using PPOE DSL VPN PPTP connections) to reach the LAN and having acces to several windows apps .

This indeed my friends could make knoppix VERY popular in the large scaled bussinesses.
1)Since it then also can be used to gradually convert an existing windows enviroment to a fully LINUX/UNIX enviroment.Using the CITRIX client solution directly on the LAN.
2)Since a lot of PC hardware Client configs will have no more trouble performing teleworking (knoppix performs immediate hard/soft configs).

Anybody interested ?

ktheking
Linux newbie - MS administrator

jtally
03-26-2003, 04:44 AM
It sounds like a kernel recompile would have to be done unless user mode linux where used (I don't know much about UML though so that might not be possible). It sounds like a great idea for remote users where the hardware and software configureation can't be, or costs to mutch to be, controlled. As far as using citrix to run aplications directly on a lan, I personally have never liked the idea. For every one user you must have a computer able to run the citrix client and it's host OS, be it Windows or GNU/Linux and also server resources to run the citrix server and the target aplication(s) where in most cases you could run the target aplication and it's host application on one desktop. Although if your focus was to get rid of MS client licencing fees but still be able to run aplications that can't run, or are not supported, on wine then it does have it's merrits. I would help to get something working for this sort of thing if I had more experience but i'm still trying to get my personal kernel recompile project working.

ktheking
03-26-2003, 03:34 PM
"As far as using citrix to run aplications directly on a lan, I personally have never liked the idea. For every one user you must have a computer able to run the citrix client and it's host OS, be it Windows or GNU/Linux and also server resources to run the citrix server and the target aplication(s) where in most cases you could run the target aplication and it's host application on one desktop"

=>That's exactly why using a cutomized knoppix cd with on it a citrix client starting up at boot. Every seperate citrix app. available for the client is shown in a browser. The citrix server system itself is using application load balancing ,to run the citrix apllication session on the least loaded server. What you actually save when using it on the LAN is :
-in a big firm,NEVER all pc's are used simultaniously=> so based on stats
you only buy apps licenses based on the maximums in that stats.
So big savings over here.
-All people going to use the citrix-knoppix solution will not need a Windows license anymore => big savings again
-also no need anymore for soft maintenance on these pc's nor anti-virus soft.
-and much much more...

So you see , working going back to ye old terminal situation...
But this time graphical ;-)

For using Wine ,I think even when using wine you still need a windows license.

ktheking
03-26-2003, 06:12 PM
Ok ,found it over here : http://howto.htlw16.ac.at/at-highspeed-howto-2.htmlthat when using ADSL you don't need MPPE .
That will solve the issue of the kernel rebuild. (have to test it though 8) )
I only have to create a script that will ask for login,password and vpn (pptp) server and will adapt config files and launch the pptp connection as well as logging onto the W2K domain (samba ?) .
Thanks anyway for reacting.. :P

kamikaze_fish
07-01-2003, 04:56 AM
did you get this figured out? i would love to know and maybe get a copy of your custom knoppix.

ktheking
07-02-2003, 05:30 PM
:lol: There is someone who has figured it out and made 'howto' on a website.
I'll put the link on later.
Cya...