PDA

View Full Version : LILO Splash screen?????

johncarlson21
03-26-2003, 02:28 AM
I would just like to know if I can have a splash screen when I use LILO! :shock:
Is this possible???? I think that you can do it using Grub!
I am running Knoppix 3.1 on the HDD and XP also..
I really like KNOPPIX but I would like to know how to add a splash screen...
OR am I just going to have to make some stupid text file that has little drawings...?????? :evil:

zzyzx
03-26-2003, 04:27 AM
I know it is possible. Mandrake has it and I don't think it is a mandrake additional but a lilo option. Yes, I hate this red text screen to. text is for the ice ages.

MichielioZ
03-26-2003, 04:58 AM
Text at boot is for the ice ages..... ok.....
And there goes your knowledge about anything the kernel is doing...
And there goes your knowledge about anything that could go wrong....

Text at boot probably SHOULD be ice age by now, but untill linux runs fluently, without EVER causing a problem, it is just necessary i guess....

Stephen
03-26-2003, 05:31 AM
And there goes your knowledge about anything the kernel is doing...
And there goes your knowledge about anything that could go wrong....

The Mandrake splash screen gives you all that, it just shows the messages in a nice graphical window.

rickenbacherus
03-26-2003, 05:34 AM
The Mandrake splash screen gives you all that, it just shows the messages in a nice graphical window.

At a price- Mandrake boots much slower than Debian (at least on my machine it does).

Stephen
03-26-2003, 05:45 AM
Did on mine too until I trashed it for Knoppix, boots much faster now and I don't have to run sndconfig every two days to keep sound settings now either :).

rickenbacherus
03-26-2003, 06:03 AM
Knoppix runs flawlessly for me personally. I seems to me that each system has a distro that was meant to be operating it and I think I have found that distro. oh sure I'd like to try them all eventually - that is of course what multiple booting is for. I don't have a "pretty" splash screen but I do have a pretty cool LILO menu from which to select my OS. (although I hardly ever see it- maybe once a week at most and that's to boot another OS not because of a crash).

At any rate - it's animated w/ nice graphics- it's got penguins in hats- it's cool.

Eride
03-26-2003, 04:07 PM
Is it not possible to remake your mbr and use Grub instead on LILO? Has anyone here done this after intalling knoppix in a mulitboot env? BTW I love knoppix for the same reasons everyone does, it works flawlessly for me! running the latest (until tomorrow probably) release v3.2 03-24. I love the new KDE eye candy! :shock:

Regards,

-Erik

rickenbacherus
03-26-2003, 04:19 PM
Is it not possible to remake your mbr and use Grub instead on LILO
Regards,

-Erik

Sure - why not?

liechmaster
07-13-2003, 11:54 AM
of course u can make splash screen in lilo
it is simple just read the manual for lilo and liloconfing.
or when u run lilo from console it tells u how to use new graphic lilo.
u have to add to etc/lilo.conf some lines, the example is in usr/share/doc/lilo/.. and the bitmaps are in usr/share/lilo/contrib/.. or something like that.
it is simple belive me :)

Coume
07-15-2003, 08:07 AM
of course u can make splash screen in lilo
it is simple just read the manual for lilo and liloconfing.
or when u run lilo from console it tells u how to use new graphic lilo.
u have to add to etc/lilo.conf some lines, the example is in usr/share/doc/lilo/.. and the bitmaps are in usr/share/lilo/contrib/.. or something like that.
it is simple belive me :)

Hello,
I will install try to install Knoppix Tonight and hope that I will finally manage to install a Linux distro on my compaq laptop...
anyway, you said it is easy to do that, but could you give a bit more explanation? That's my only "Fear" about the 2 OS together how to select them at the startup...
Could you show your lilo.conf if you use the graphical selector or a template that you find somewhere?

Thanks in advance
Coume

rickenbacherus
07-15-2003, 11:46 PM
Here's my /etc/lilo.conf file. The part in bold is what you need to add to get the graphical LILO menu.

vga=791
lba32
boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda3

bitmap=/usr/share/lilo/contrib/sid.bmp
bmp-colors=1,,0,2,,0
bmp-table=120p,173p,1,15,17
bmp-timer=254p,432p,1,0,0
install=/boot/boot-bmp.b

Make sure to comment the following line becasue you cannot have the 'install=' line twice

#install=/boot/boot-menu.b

map=/boot/map
delay=20
prompt
timeout=150
append="hdb=scsi hdc=ide-scsi apm=power-off nomce"
default=Debian
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21
label=Debian
initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
read-only

Of course don't forget to do /sbin/lilo after you edit this file.

Coume
07-16-2003, 06:09 AM
Thxs for the lilo.conf!

It will help :)

Ludo