PDA

View Full Version : Aren't I supposed to see my HDD?

emnmnme
10-14-2004, 05:26 PM
I'm sampling Knoppix 3.6 after my brother recommended it to me and there are still things I don't understand. I booted from the disc, knoppix recognizes all my peripherals and cd drives and whatnot, except I don't see my hard drive anywhere. I've been looking at the help file for an hour and I'm not making progress and I tried searching topics here but I can't wade through 435 topics. So far, from reading what I've read, knoppix didn't auto-mount my hdd and there are compatibility problems between Linux and RAID hard drives. So, to put me back on track after reading these KDE help files, how can I access my hdd through knoppix?

UnderScore
10-14-2004, 07:15 PM
Greetings.
We will need to know the make, model name, and configuration of your
motherboard, hard drives and/or RAID controller to begin to help you.

emnmnme
10-15-2004, 05:13 AM
Well, after looking through more forum discussions, why are NTSF partitions more popular? Anyways, I have a A7N8X ASUS motherboard, a Fat 32 partitiion, and I don't know what RAID utilities are running. How do I check on those?

emnmnme
10-16-2004, 03:54 AM
Well, I'm reading all these great things about Linux from the help files but I'm getting kind of frustrated that 72 people have seen my topic and only one has replied. Isn't there a newbie guide or documentation on how to mount a hard drive? All I see on the desktop is a trash can, 3 CD-ROM icons, my USB flash memory stick and the floppy drive. If I type hda1 into a location bar, then the device isn't found. What's up?

OErjan
10-16-2004, 10:29 AM
to be able to help you we need the names of the things UnderScore asked after. there is tooo many possible answers otherwise. we must narow it down some. but basically it should work. i have used raid on a few computers but then i knew makes/models... of the controllers. i compiled my own kernel to optimize... not something i expect you to do. but we need something to work with. sorry, i am not clearvoyant.

emnmnme
10-17-2004, 03:20 AM
Specifically, I have a Seagate ST380023 AS SATA for the HDD and an NFORCE2 A7N8X ASUS Deluxe RTL for the motherboard.

Cuddles
10-17-2004, 06:01 PM
Just to ring in...

Well, I'm reading all these great things about Linux ... I'm getting kind of frustrated ... 72 people have seen my topic ... only one has replied.

Hmmmm, lets see here,

First Knoppix.net is supported by volunteer people, those people who want to contribute to an OS that they not only run, use, but also want to help others also, with...

Second, the subject line is missleading, considering the actual subject here is on mounting and gaining access to a RAID - not saying that your subject is not descriptive, just that a lot of people think they may be able to help you out, and after reading the issue, may not have a clue how to, thus, 72 reads / views, one response... I, for one, have no clue about a RAID setup, and thus, was one of those who read the post, and then went back to the "General Forum" to see if I could find something I "could" help someone with... ( I'm not going to give you advice, unless, ( 1 ) I know "first hand" what I am working with, or doing, and ( 2 ) if I have an idea on a resolve, I will state it that way... Not sure if this is going to work ... but, how about this ... kinda thing )

Third, having worked as a Win95 Tech Phone Support Engineer, for the "roll out" of that OS, I can say, from experiance, that more information about something, can only lead to a better resolve of it. If you called up a Microsoft Tech Support Representative, they would ask you what was going on when it happened, did it do that before, did it work before, what could have changed to make this happen, and, after getting a background of the problem, get as much information about your system configuration as possible. ( what is running, what kind of hardware, how it is connected, etc... )

To elaborate, I worked more than 3 hours with a lady, who reported her video wasnt working, in Win95, only to find out, she was telling me what video card she "wanted" installed, and didnt have, in her computer, and never mentioned what she "really" had installed in her system ( her reasoning was: I didnt like the name of the video driver, or card she had... )

So, considering all of these mentioned things, I can only applaud the people who are trying to help you out, for knowing what you have first, it can only get you a faster, and better, resolve, for your issue...

And, I must appologize, for taking extra "bandwidth", that is not in your issues resolve, to state what I have here, Sorry...
Ms. Cuddles

OErjan
10-17-2004, 09:08 PM
sorry, i have no experience on S-ATA. i will try to find something and point you there. hope to help OErjan

emnmnme
10-17-2004, 11:26 PM
I did not mean to confound you, Miss Cuddler. Nor was it my intention to make unreasonable demands of the Knoppix forum's or your own computer knowledge since I thought I had a common "newbie" problem. In other words, I didn't expect any noodles to be seriously scratched. Thanks to all who have helped me so far.

Like I said, I can't find any files on my hard drive and there is no HDD icon on the desktop. What is my problem and what is the cause? Has this ever happened to anyone else before? What's a kernel?

Cuddles
10-18-2004, 12:04 AM
I did not mean to confound you, Miss Cuddler. Nor was it my intention to make unreasonable demands of the Knoppix forum's or your own computer knowledge since I thought I had a common "newbie" problem. In other words, I didn't expect any noodles to be seriously scratched. Thanks to all who have helped me so far.
I dont really think I helped, nor, in any way, am I able in this situation, other than to "probably" just make noise on this subject, that is what I was appologizing for, and for the fact that my posted response had nothing to do with your issue at hand...

Like I said, I can't find any files on my hard drive and there is no HDD icon on the desktop. What is my problem and what is the cause? Has this ever happened to anyone else before? What's a kernel?
Hmmm,

As for the question on "Has this ever happend to anyone else before?" -=- You can always try the Search Knoppix.net feature... If it is a common problem, you will get search results that could lead to a resolve, for your particular issue... ( see if "sata" comes up with anything )

As for the question on "What's a kernel?" -=- the word comes from the "Unix" days, which is what Linux is based on. The "kernel" is the smallest part of the Operating System, in which, its only purpose is to get a "ground-level" system to boot. After the kernel finishes, it then gets other things "added" to it, modules, that raise the system up from this ground-level. The analogy of that of a "popcorn kernel" that "pops" into a full popcorn ball... The "core" is that of the kernel, which is still there after the kernel has actually "popped" into popcorn, but has "grown" into something much more than the "kernel" was in the beginning.

I probably walked all over the analogies, and the history of Unix, and even Linux, by this, but, I think its a good explaination... ( time, and responses, will tell )

emnmnme
10-18-2004, 04:16 PM
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12071&highlight=sata+hdd

This thread had a similiar problem and it seems that other people are using some version of a 2.6 kernel to fix things, but that kernel is also buggy. Has this 2.6 kernel been fixed by now and where can I find it?

OErjan
10-18-2004, 06:10 PM
try to use knoppix26 when you see the boot: at lower en of screen (where the logo frst appears.

firebyrd10
10-19-2004, 02:32 AM
As for the question on "What's a kernel?" -=- the word comes from the "Unix" days, which is what Linux is based on. The "kernel" is the smallest part of the Operating System, in which, its only purpose is to get a "ground-level" system to boot. After the kernel finishes, it then gets other things "added" to it, modules, that raise the system up from this ground-level. The analogy of that of a "popcorn kernel" that "pops" into a full popcorn ball... The "core" is that of the kernel, which is still there after the kernel has actually "popped" into popcorn, but has "grown" into something much more than the "kernel" was in the beginning.

I probably walked all over the analogies, and the history of Unix, and even Linux, by this, but, I think its a good explaination... ( time, and responses, will tell )

Thats a pretty decent explantion. But your missing that the kernel also provids hardware acess (everything must go through the kernel to get to the hardware, it makes things easier. Though it is possible to bypass it if needed)

emnmnme
10-29-2004, 06:42 AM
Well, I'm back from vacation and I've since had no luck with knoppix. I typed in kernel26 and searched knoppix.net for similar problems ... and they say try Kernel 26. So I can't find a solution. Will knoppix 3.7 or a different version of linux auto-detect my hard drive?