PDA

View Full Version : please help

claymann22
10-14-2004, 07:56 PM
Hey, I am trying to run knoppix, being it is a live disk, but for some reason at the start up of my computer it does not load from CD. I know my bios is configured to do so because i can run cd from boot with my windows. my friend says that my computer isnt reading the disk, im not sure if this is true, but can any one help me?

robwelch100
10-14-2004, 09:59 PM
My guess is that you did not burn the image properly. This topic is explained extensively in the forums. Basically if you burned your cd by going into your burning program and selected the knoppix.iso, then you have the iso burned to the disk. Buring an iso to the disk is not the same as making a bootable disk from the iso. Many of the cd burning suites out there have documentation. Look up burning from an image. If you know how to burn images and you know you burnt it properly you will want to check the md5sum of the file to make sure it is ok.

Harry Kuhman
10-15-2004, 07:49 AM
I agree with all of the above, and I think a bad download (for some reason I seem to get a lot of bad Knoppix downloads that don't match the md5sum) is the most likely problem and a bad burn is the next likely canidate. That said, I have seen some older BIOSes that seem to be able to boot some CD's and not others. Do what the last poster suggested first, but if you're sure that your CD is good, test it in another computer. If it boots there but not in yours, there are still things you can do. If's it's not booting at all these might include BIOS settings, a boot floppy, or a boot manager like XOSL (fantastic free program). If it's starting to b0oot you might need some cheat codes. Post back here with moe information if you need help.

Also, if you need help and really hope to get it, you might want to put something meaningful in the topic. I expect many people are just skipping past this topic because the totle contains no real information at all.

claymann22
10-15-2004, 06:50 PM
what burner do you guys use, cause ive tried two different burners, nero ,and ths ither crap 1 and niehter workd

robwelch100
10-15-2004, 09:55 PM
Unless you want a coaster, verify the md5sum of the .iso!

I use nero in Windows here's how:
(Nero 6.3.x.x)
1. Load Nero
2. Close the cd creation window that loads at start.
3. At the top of the window choose the tab labeled recorder
4. Select "Burn Image..."
5. Select your .iso file.
6. The burn dialogue will apear, select burn
7. A window will popup telling you that the file is too big unless you finalize the cd. Select to finalize.
8. Viola...reboot to your new Knoppix live cd

Harry Kuhman
10-23-2004, 07:42 PM
what burner do you guys use, cause ive tried two different burners, nero ,and ths ither crap 1 and niehter workd
I use a Lite-on, but your problem isn't the burner. Did you check the md5 sum??? You posted back but never responded to that. If you got a good Md5 match, them (and only then), look at how you are burning it. You don't just copy the ISO file to the CD, you need to use an option of your burning software to burn it correctly. In Nero it's the menu item "Burn Image" under the File menu item, but tell us what software you are using and what steps you take to burn the image and we will tell you if you are doing it right and what you are doing wrong. Also, although I very much doubt this is your problem, if you are burning at high speed, drop the burn speed down to 4x. I have seen increased errors on high speed burns, at least for your first sucessful bure 20 minutes should not be too long to wait.