PDA

View Full Version : Exact Phrase Search on Knoppix Forum

gavrik
10-14-2004, 11:20 PM
I am unable to figure out how to perform an exact phrase search where the search only finds things that contain a particular sequence of words.

Google allows searches to be constrained by a quoted string like "word-1 word-2 ... word-n".

How do I do this when searching the knoppix forum?

Thanks.

metavoid
10-15-2004, 09:59 AM
Hmm. I must misunderstand your question as I have no problems doing that using

" I've run a search on" site:knoppix.net

In Google:

gavrik
10-17-2004, 11:32 AM
I guess my question was not all that clear.

I did not want to use google to search the knoppix forum. I brought up google as an example of a search engine which looks for stuff matching a string. What I was on about was that the search facility on the knoppix forum was not working for me.

I find it hard to believe that one can't do this very useful type of search. There must be some simple thing that I do not understand.

Cuddles
10-17-2004, 04:24 PM
Gavrik,

Not sure on your querry / question...

I entered root on the Search Knoppix.net text box above, and got responses, and then tried the Search Tab that goes across the top of the Knoppix.net site page, came up with a Google Search page, entered root in that text box, had the (dot) next to the Knoppix.net search ( not the web one ), and hit enter, and ( mostly ) came up with the same responses...

If this is about entering more than one word into the search criteria, I have always used the "familiar" search practice of:

"put the whole line in quotes" - to get a litteral search of the complete sentence...
"root" "password" - to get litteral searches for two specific words...

Have you tried the search recently ? I know that Knoppix.net site was having some issues a while back, from what I knew, it was centered around not getting topic reply emails, but this could have extended into "functionality" of the site, like the "search" features, and they may be resolved now, just a guess here...

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles

gavrik
10-18-2004, 12:38 PM
Cuddles,

Thanks for the detailed response.

OK. So I am starting to understand. There are two things. The first is the google seach engines that you can access with the 'Search Knoppix.net' text box at the top of the page and with the tab labeled 'Search'. the second is the search engines that appears to be part of this forum which you access with the link labeled "Search' located on the row just below the tabs.

It was the second that I was having the problems with. It appears to me that no matter what I try, it does not work with phrase searches in the way that I expect. I guess I will just have to use the google search engine for this type of search.

I am still wondering why the second search engine does not allow me to perform this type of search.

gavrik
10-18-2004, 01:03 PM
I did an experiment using the 'Search Knoppix.net' engine.

I searched for the phrase "I find it hard to believe that one can't do this" that was in my original post. It found this post. I then did the same thing with the second post, which also worked.

What I discovered was that this search engine found only these two posts. Searching with phrases that are known to be in later posts does not find anything. I assume that this is because the web crawler that this google thing uses has not yet discovered these more recent posts.

I wonder what this means. Is it possible that this google search engine may not ever know about all the posts on the knoppix.net forum? It seems to me that a proper search engine would be integral with the software that makes this forum work, and would be able to find anything that is on the forum.

If anyone understand how this stuff works, I would like to have it explained.