PDA

View Full Version : Samba Client - Does it "Auto Start"?

ELeahi
10-15-2004, 09:40 AM
8) Aloha! Using Knoppix 3.6. I realize that you need the Samba client to run in order to access windows systems on a local network. Does this client start automatically with the CD? It would appear so, as I've been able to install a networked printer - one that is connected locally to one of the W2k systems.

However, when I run the script that is supposed to confirm whether samba is installed (can't remember it) nothing happens. I wonder if this checks whether the Server is installed and has nothing to do with the client?

Using a Linky router/switch w/ DHCP enabled. I figure the client MUST be installed/or enabled? upon booting as I'm able to connect to the W2K shares using "smb://machine name/share/" in Konquerer(sp?). It just prompts for the username and pw (it better! ;-) ) But it seems if we want to again connect to that same share we need to type that in again. Is there an easier way to connect? As a linux NEWBIE, I need to know if these windows partitions can be "mapped"? How does one go about mapping a windows drive/partition in Knoppix/Linux? For NTFS shares, we only need the read function and wouldn't write to it. Guess I'll learn that the proper term is MOUNT? Is this the same as "mapping a drive or folder"?

Last question, what is "Captive NTFS" and what does it do?

I'm only posting this after reading mounds of docs on Samba and networking w/ Linux, along with searching this forum and other forums.

Thank you very much for any help you can give, and Mahalo for such an incredible Forum!!!!