PDA

View Full Version : Where did I go wrong ...

Mic Q
10-16-2004, 12:35 AM
Got an OLD harddisk and wanted to use it as a PMI for Knoppix

Erase everthing on it with msdos format command, 800Mb free.

Start Knoppix

Created a Persistent Home (1GB) and Saved configuration on an existing(not the old) harddisk .

Start and use QTPart to :
1. Remove all partition on OLD Harddisk.
2. Create only one partition.
3. Format it as ext3 - upon commit 56Mb will be use up (Is this normal?)
3a. if i did not format it , it will not be recognise when knoppix startup. (Is this normal)
3b. tried to format it as ext2, ended with same result at when formatting as ext3.

Restart the PC with Knoppix cheatcode tohd=/dev/hdb1

Upon bootup, message indicates that the transfer of system requires about 780Mb but HD has only 750Mb, so cannot transfer system.

Does Knoppix need to use 56MB to store format/partition info?
Is there a way to get around it ?
Do i need to format the disk to ext3 before I can mount Knoppix system with cheatcode?

Please help, I would not be able to rest peacefully without completing this
:?

user unknown
10-16-2004, 01:25 AM
please use a specific subject

CrashedAgain
10-16-2004, 06:18 AM
Got an OLD harddisk and wanted to use it as a PMI for Knoppix

Erase everthing on it with msdos format command, 800Mb free.

Start Knoppix

Created a Persistent Home (1GB) and Saved configuration on an existing(not the old) harddisk .

Start and use QTPart to :
1. Remove all partition on OLD Harddisk.
2. Create only one partition.
3. Format it as ext3 - upon commit 56Mb will be use up (Is this normal?)
3a. if i did not format it , it will not be recognise when knoppix startup. (Is this normal)
3b. tried to format it as ext2, ended with same result at when formatting as ext3.

Restart the PC with Knoppix cheatcode tohd=/dev/hdb1

Upon bootup, message indicates that the transfer of system requires about 780Mb but HD has only 750Mb, so cannot transfer system.

Does Knoppix need to use 56MB to store format/partition info?
Is there a way to get around it ?
Do i need to format the disk to ext3 before I can mount Knoppix system with cheatcode?

Please help, I would not be able to rest peacefully without completing this
:?

I was afraid this would happen, Knoppix will barely fit on a 750 MB CD & I figured the install script would demand a little extra. I don't know if there is any way to get around it, other than to put your Poorman's Install on hda instead of hdb, it will install just fine one your vfat formatted hda& doesn't have to partition or reformat anything to install there. You could then use hdb as your persistent home.
You don't have to have a preformatted ext3 system for a poormans install.

Mic Q
10-16-2004, 10:21 AM
CrashedAgain,

you are right again !!!! the PoorManInstall does not have to have a preformatted ext3 system.

With that piece of info, I reformat the partition from ext3 to Fat16. This eventually saves me 20Mb-30Mb of space which just allows a PMI onto the Old harddisk.

Thanks a million for the help.