PDA

View Full Version : Installing Knoppix for Server

Kowood
10-16-2004, 04:25 AM
I'm trying to intall Knoppix for a server on my mom's company's computer. First of all-How do I make sure it's installed for a server? Next, while I'm at my house, I'd like to be able to get online with this computer so I won't have to switch monitors, keyboards, mouses, etc. I'm not sure how to tell whether it has an internal modem (I think it does), and then, how to tell whether it's serial or usb, and at what port it is. The guy that runs the company's computers and stuff also gave me a Fedora set to try. I've heard that Fedora sucks. Anway:

-Install for server
-Find out if there is internal modem
-Find out what port modem is at

shah
10-16-2004, 12:21 PM
Frankly, I really don't understand what you want. Do you want to create a server or client? You need to do some googling and read about the difference of a server and a client. Basic requirement and the purpose of such system.
Internal modem, is a modem that resides on the motherboard, either as a card or built-in onto your mobo.
External modem, is a modem that resides outside your pc. It usually attach to your usb port or serial/parallel port.
:D :D

Kowood
10-16-2004, 08:59 PM
I want to make a server. Is it possible to have the server as Linux and everything else as Microsoft? Because this small business just wants a basic OS for the server without all the fancy features that Microsoft has, but want to use Microsoft for everything else.

shah
10-17-2004, 01:02 AM
The answer is yes. And there a a lot of utilities included in knoppix for you to run a server.
If it is not included, you can always download and install it from net using the powerfull Debian utilitity called apt.
You could create file/print server, webserver, ftpserver,mailserver...etc. You can have all the server in single pc.
The client could be using any OSes.
This is a tutorial on knoppix so you will be familiar with it:
http://www.eleli.de/knoppix/docs/tutorial/english/

:D :D :D

Kowood
10-17-2004, 01:34 AM
And what of Fedora? Does it indeed suck ass?

garyng
10-17-2004, 04:43 AM
I want to make a server. Is it possible to have the server as Linux and everything else as Microsoft? Because this small business just wants a basic OS for the server without all the fancy features that Microsoft has, but want to use Microsoft for everything else.

While you can do this, don't expect the effort to be on the light side. The major issue would be "user/resources management". Don't underestimate the "fancy" things of Windows, many people miss that after working on linux, especially coming from a straight Windows background. Installing things is easy like the mentioned "apt-get", managing things is not.

Contrary to general believes, gnu/linux in general is not suitable for a small business(save in license cannot compensate man power cost). The TCO skew towards Microsoft unless there is an experienced system integrator with expertise in linux that don't mind to give a helping hand, at a reasonable cost.